Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kamala Harris' time is up

they failed

I was surprised by this until I saw that the state senator involved was a Democrat until a few months ago, when he switched parties after being censured for voting for anti-abortion rights and anti-trans legislation, I guess he'll be sitting by himself in the senate cafeteria now

Wondering if anyone here know the answer to this. Harris says she'll enshrine protection of abortion rights, but does that mean she'll need much more control over Congress/Senate (I don't understand this shit) in order to do so, seeing as Biden isn't capable of doing it now? Or is there another reason he isn't doing/can't do it? And there's no sign she's going have more control than Biden does now.

Ibdo wonder if it is just optics

Biden is seen as a historic... well if not fence sitter at least fence admirer.

There is a feeling that he just doesn't really want to get involved.

Harris coming out on this might mean it builds momentum. Polls seem to show there is popular demand so maybe all the system needs is pressure from the top.

I can never tell with American politics what is bullshit lies and what is bullshit truth.

Wondering if anyone here know the answer to this. Harris says she'll enshrine protection of abortion rights, but does that mean she'll need much more control over Congress/Senate (I don't understand this shit) in order to do so, seeing as Biden isn't capable of doing it now? Or is there another reason he isn't doing/can't do it? And there's no sign she's going have more control than Biden does now.

Congress would have to pass a law to enshrine abortion rights, which under the current rules would require a vote of 60 out of 100 senators, if Democrats keep control of the Senate and the House a law could be passed if a majority of senators vote to eliminate the filibuster for the law.

I think Biden hasn't pushed for a similar move because he spent about 50 years as a senator and is averse to changing the rules, also it makes it more likely that Republicans would do something similar to pass some evil shit when they eventually regain control of the Senate - he had about six months between Roe v. Wade being overturned and the Democrats losing control of the House in which he could have tried to get a law passed

The support of 60 senators is required to pass most legislation in the upper chamber at present. On Tuesday, Harris said in an interview that she wants to lower the threshold to a simple majority.

"We should eliminate the filibuster for Roe... to actually put back in law the protections for reproductive freedom, and for the ability of every person and every woman to make decisions about their own body," she told Wisconsin Public Radio.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom