Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just finished audiobooking the Silmarillion

its the one where theres a couple of blatant lifts from CS Lewis or was that the other way round...either way iirc theres some nods between That Hideous Strength (prelandra series) and The Silmarillion.

Is that the one where his son just gussied up a load of background notes?
Sorta. But it was going to be a follow up to the hobbit until the publisher rejected it and we got LOTR instead so it's not just background notes but drafts and notes for a book.

its the one where theres a couple of blatant lifts from CS Lewis or was that the other way round...either way iirc theres some nods between That Hideous Strength (prelandra series) and The Silmarillion.
It was CS Lewis that lifted it I believe, I think it was covered in The Inklings but I haven't reread that in a few years so might have misremembered.

It was CS Lewis that lifted it I believe, I think it was covered in The Inklings but I haven't reread that in a few years so might have misremembered.
hah yes thats where I half remember it from as well lol. Its a very odd work is 'That Hideous Strength'. Much like the Silmarillion I suppose. I don't regret reading either but unlikely to revisit.

hah yes thats where I half remember it from as well lol. Its a very odd work is 'That Hideous Strength'. Much like the Silmarillion I suppose. I don't regret reading either but unlikely to revisit.
I'm interested in rereading now to see the similarities if any! That Hideous Strength is very much shorter than The Silmarillion though, I reckon about a third as long.

I had Martin Shaw reading it, on tape, years ago. Every time I put it on I fell asleep. Never did get through it.
I've heard some of the Shaw version because I downloaded a version a while back. But I think Serkis does the better job. He really goes for it.

It's very impressive overall and well worth finishing. The story of the fall of Numenor is really good.

Been a long time since I read it. I recall there were a couple of cool fights. Feanor calling Morgoth out and being so hard that Morgoth bottled it. Turin was pretty tough too.

Back
Top Bottom