Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jonathan Spence RIP

JimW

支那暗杀团
So I just read, after a great innings, born 1936. Probably the best of recent Western historians of China at hitting that spot between academic rigour and compelling narrative.
From my pov too much of a classic liberal to really enjoy his broad works on modern history like Rise, but his more focused studies like Death of Woman Wang or Treason by the Book absolute gems.

heard of him, but i don't know his work.
thanks for the summary, this sort of thing is helpful.

Reactions: Ax^
heard of him, but i don't know his work.
thanks for the summary, this sort of thing is helpful.
He's popular in translation in China too which is usually a complement as readers here are a tough crowd, think his best known one here is a major history of the Taiping Rebellion which I also thought was very well written though not really qualified to say how good it is as history as it's about all I've read on the subject but it gets praised here so can't be too wildly off kilter - God's Chinese Son.

do you have an opinion on simon leys? i used to read his stuff in nyrb and he certainly had a turn of phrase.

do you have an opinion on simon leys? i used to read his stuff in nyrb and he certainly had a turn of phrase.
Name rings a bell but that's all I'm afraid, will have a look and see if I've read anything by him. Obviously not made a big impression if I have!

Back
Top Bottom