Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

John Wick 4

ruffneck23

front left
After posting on the part 3 thread I thought this could do with it's own thread.

A week ago, I had never seen a John Wick film, I've now done all 4.

I found them all excellent, not much story but great fight scenes and this doesn't disappoint, like watching a video game if you like that sort of thing, some stunning set pieces and really didnt feel like the 2hr 49 mins that it was.

If you want good action and liked the others go see it.

I hadnt seen any previously but like Keanu Reeves (The Matrix series superb).

Thoughts

1) way too long: 30-40 minutes could easily have been cut

2) as stated above the violence is like a video game: but actually even more like the old cartoon Tom & Jerry

3) whatever their back stories none of the characters had depth: and throwing around a few Latin phrases and Ned Kellys last words didnt compensate

4) i liked the scenery; Brandenburg Gate, Arc de Triomphe, Louvre, Sacre Coeur, all of which I have visited: again though doesnt compensate for shallowness

5) i did like the Radio station giving updates on Wicks location: but liked it even more when it was first used in the 70s US film the Warriors, following in modern terms Odysseus’ return from Troy. Now that was a film with depth, it really was. Violence too but in proportion

6) i also found the Berlin night club scene pleasingly surreal: though implausible, just like those car adverts showing no others on the road

7) also very glad to see the antique dealing rogue Lovejoy actor still working

Didn’t dislike the film but it barely moved me: a score of maybe 4.5/10, would have been more if 40 minutes shorter

PS my wife really didn’t like it—“even worse than Inception” 😹😹

Last edited:
I spent a lot of the time while I was watching this with my eyes closed. It just went on and on!
I thought it was rubbish.

Probably an orgy of theatrical and unrealistic violence.

If the earlier ones are anything to go by.

Probably an orgy of theatrical and unrealistic violence.

If the earlier ones are anything to go by.
Well yeah. That's kind of the whole entire point. They're a Western version of John Woo films. The first one is absolutely beautiful. The later ones ruin it a bit by trying to include an actual plot, and build a world around the violence.

Yeah, I didnt like them for the plot.

Even the violence isnt ultra gory, it's just well shot choreographed fight scenes.

I maintain my original review, they are great movies. If you want to see proper action (hand to hand & gun, not explosions), that is far better than the matrix ( Sorry matrix 1, I truly loved you)

And I don't normally like violence.

In fact, might just start the Trilogy again this evening whilst waiting for the 4k rip to come out/.

ETA Scrap that the 4k rip is already out there.

That is all.

Do I need to have watched the previous ones to follow this? I've seen the first. Can't remember if I saw the 2nd one...I may have. Or maybe not. Haven't seen the third.

Right, I've watched it now. It was too long but I'm glad they've closed it off. Felt like the right time.

The first one was so stylish and different, and the sequels have suffered a bit, despite being enjoyable in their own right.

This one was like "how much more John Wick can this be? And the answer is none, none more John Wick". I liked it, it was a good time but, for example, when he is escaping from the Japanese hotel there were about twenty identical fights. He kills a couple of people, walks two steps and suddenly there's another load of grey suited goons rocking up to get their heads kicked in. It was all getting a bit samey, so definitely the right time to call it a day.

I rate Bill Skarsgard really highly as an actor, and I’ve never been one to be particularly bothered by bad accent renditions by otherwise talented actors in good films, but a third into this film and his accent is truly shit.

I thought it was crap enough to start with, but judging by another character’s comment just now am I to understand he’s meant to be French? Because if so he makes the average effort in Allo Allo look masterful by comparison.

Enjoying the film so far otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom