Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

John Haynes RIP

First thing I used to do on getting a new motorbike or car was buy the Haynes manual for it. I always found them invaluable and they gave you confidence to explore new bits of the machine which otherwise might have been too scary. Like gearboxes for example or wiring.

RIP

I bought Three.

Morris Minor 1000 (bought with the intention of a Traveller restoration project, but all that rotten wood and aluminium paneling - didn't get far).

Triumph Spitfire Mk 4 (got it road worthy at least).

Mini 850 - car I retook driving test in.

I was very impressed with the detail they went to for every vehicle, each manual must have taken so long to produce and yet there they were, stacks of them, they must have had a production line producing them.

Do they still produce them for the most up to date cars and bikes? Haven't looked in a while.

They still produce manuals, not sure about up to date ones for current models.
By sales of manuals he could Tell which cars were most reliable....mazda manuals sold few copies, whereas Vauxhall Viva HAs sold lots of copies...

Maybe ok for mechanicals but that's not what goes on cars. It's window winders, bulbs in the dash annoying crap. Usually unhelpfully Haynes manual says "remove trim". Not a fucking description of how to remove the said trim. Usually ends up with a trip to the scrappy to break a few bits there till you work out how to get it off.

I loved the manuals and, as others did, always bought one when I got a different car. I wish I had still got them all there'd be an interesting personal history.

RIP Mr Haynes.

The library I started paid work in had a massive collection of manuals (one reference and sometimes up to three lending copies) we had some good bookmarks in terms of dirty fingerprints, usually smudges on the photos ...

I think I've still got a couple of car and bike ones. Also some of the more recent diverse titles - I was bought one of the Star Trek titles a few years ago. I expect they'll continue with the editorial team ...

RIP

Back
Top Bottom