Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Job Seekers allowance ends next month need advice moving forward

jeff_leigh

What happened to Dubversion ?
OK, So at the moment I'm in receipt of JSA ( contribution based) because a recent small inheritance I don't qualify for UC, My concern he is when my JSA runs out I still want to sign for my
National Insurance contributions, Can anyone here advise me how I need to go about this ?

Thanks in advance

may also be worth seeking advice from someone like CAB about what happens when your 'capital' goes below the threshold for claiming means tested benefits through meeting your living expenses. (i don't want to ask questions, or for you to go in to detail here)

my understanding is that the general principle is that you're allowed to use this capital to live modestly, but not to spend it too extravagantly or give it to relatives so as to get below the threshold (there's a bit about the concept here)

it may be that paying off some debts, or having essential repairs to your home done may be ok, i'm not sure about paying off a chunk of mortgage, and it may not be ok to spend money on what they consider to be fancy stuff. but i'm a long time away from being up to date with this sort of thing...

jeff_leigh - FYI, some years ago, I claimed NI class1 contributions for several months after my JSA ran out as my partner worked full-time so didn't qualify for anything extra ...

You still have to go through the job-search hoops. I was on a postal claim so only had a few call-ins to the JobCentre - and could claim expenses for those visits.

The added complication for the JC was that I had a running claim under mortgage protection insurance, and the JC had to countersign another form for that. [which they *****ed up more than once or twice in those few months - actually, the MPI was over a full year's claim, in total]

it may be that paying off some debts, or having essential repairs to your home done may be ok, i'm not sure about paying off a chunk of mortgage, and it may not be ok to spend money on what they consider to be fancy stuff. but i'm a long time away from being up to date with this sort of thing...
Thanks I don't think I'll be above the threshold for very long ( about six months) So I'll look into this

As Puddy_Tat says, now's the time to consider paying off debts like, eg credit cards. And if you need to eg buy a new sofa or any household appliances, they would probably also be considered okay too, so long as they weren't extravagant. But keep receipts for any spending. Any major purchases, check with a welfare rights advisor from somewhere like a CAB or law centre, just to make sure.

may also be worth seeking advice from someone like CAB about what happens when your 'capital' goes below the threshold for claiming means tested benefits through meeting your living expenses. (i don't want to ask questions, or for you to go in to detail here)

my understanding is that the general principle is that you're allowed to use this capital to live modestly, but not to spend it too extravagantly or give it to relatives so as to get below the threshold (there's a bit about the concept here)

Or doing things like upgrading your mattress, which is deemed acceptable - everyone needs a decent mattress, right?

Back
Top Bottom