Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jewellery Valuations, London area

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
Can anyone recommend somewhere to get jewellery valued (preferably free valuation)?

I have googled but it is all pages of cashconverters and pawnbrokers offering valuation for security against loans, I have a few pieces that have been handed down to me by relatives that I want valued for insurance purposes, and also so that I can share them out fairly in my will (although hopefully that will not be enacted for some time - still need to keep it up to date though just in case!)

Yeah - getting a skilled and trained professional to do a job for you is never likely to be free, unless there's an element of pro-bono, social goodwill to it. Which doesn't apply to jewellers. They will value for "free" if they're buying it off you, but that's a) because they're making money out of the time in the future, and b) the last person you'd trust to give a true valuation.

Sorry - i know Epona you'll havee realised all this. That said, I bet there's some variation between fees. Any manufacturing jeweller should offer the service, so it'd be worth popping in to / emailing a few to ask... I must get round to doing this. No idea how much my engagement ring is worth and whether i need to list it separately on the insurance.

Try the big auction houses: Sotheby's, Bonhams. They'll value stuff for free but charge commission for any sales.

Some valuations can be done online especially books, posters and prints etc. I've successfully knocked out signed stuff by Basquiat, Ginsberg and Warhol. You send them a pic as an email attachment and if they're interested, they'll contact you.

Never sold any jewellery mind, but you can try.

Back
Top Bottom