Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

James Webb: A $10bn machine in search of the end of darkness

weltweit

Equipped with a 6.5m-wide (21ft) mirror and four super-sensitive instruments, Webb will stare for days at a very narrow spot on the sky to detect light that has been travelling through the immensity of space for more than 13.5 billion years.

"We think there should be stars, or galaxies, or black holes maybe beginning at 100 million years after the Big Bang. There won't be many of them to find at that time but the Webb telescope can see them if they're there, and we're lucky," the US space agency (Nasa) researcher te..

Webb will stare for days at a very narrow spot on the sky to detect light that has been travelling through the immensity of space for more than 13.5 billion years.
"They will be just little red specks," says JWST senior project scientist and Nobel Prize winner John Mather.
"We think there should be stars, or galaxies, or black holes maybe beginning at 100 million years after the Big Bang.

Wonder why its predicted lifetime is so much less than Hubble?
Original HST mission lifetime was ~15 years. Individual instruments (modular, replaceable) had lifetimes of about 5 years.

JWST lifetime limiting factor is the on-board hypergolic fuel needed to stationkeep in the L2 halo science mission orbit in the face of N-body perturbations. Sufficient reserve is also required to dispose of it at end of mission (to Earth-trailing heliocentric orbit). HST never required fuel as the low Earth orbit is relatively stable by comparison (and accessible for periodic reboost by visiting space shuttle).

Pointing of both is managed by reaction wheels.

Last edited:
Further than Mars?
L2 halo orbit about 4 times further away than the Moon in the opposite direction to the Sun. Less than 1/36th the distance to Mars when that's closest to Earth.
JWST science mission L2 halo orbit.

Maybe the next space telescope after James Webb will be one in a similar orbit that can be refuelled. Which is why I really hope that the launch and deployment of the JWST goes smoothly, touch wood.

Maybe the next space telescope after James Webb will be one in a similar orbit that can be refuelled. Which is why I really hope that the launch and deployment of the JWST goes smoothly, touch wood.
All the forthcoming planned space telescopes are targeting Sun-Earth L2 halo orbits.

I was looking to find this page

And it had a link to the URL below stating launch has just been pushed back to no earlier than the 24th Decemeber

Currently no earlier than 1220UTC, 24 December (troubleshooting a communications issue between the payload and the pad prep room communications kit). Update due tomorrow.

from the OP BBC article
"We think there should be stars, or galaxies, or black holes maybe beginning at 100 million years after the Big Bang. There won't be many of them to find at that time but the Webb telescope can see them if they're there, and we're lucky," the US space agency (Nasa) researcher tells a special edition of Discovery on the BBC World Service.
It's an astounding idea that you might still be able to witness such a thing. But that's the consequence of light having a finite speed in a vast and expanding cosmos. If you keep probing deeper and deeper, you should eventually get to retrieve the light from the pioneer stars as they group together into the first galaxies.

I don't see how it will work. It has to rely on light coming into it. But the universe is expanding. Presumably not at the speed of light. So any light from the first stars will be well ahead of us. The only way we could see that light is it if reflects of something, but what? :confused:

I don't see how it will work. It has to rely on light coming into it. But the universe is expanding. Presumably not at the speed of light.

Faster than the speed of light, because the universe is in the region of 14 billion years old, and the known universe is is about 93 billion light years in diameter. ;)

Sounds a bit fishy as nothing is supposed to travel faster than the speed of light. :hmm:

Indeed, it is weird.
I was just kidding about stuff moving faster than the speed of light, but the age and diameter of the universe are things you can check me on.

So any light from the first stars will be well ahead of us.
No. When we see something in the early universe, it took that amount of time for the light to go from where that object was then to where we are now, which includes the extra distance due to the expansion of the universe.

Back
Top Bottom