Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jack Reacher - Better off Dead

High Voltage

In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters
The latest Reacher book - Better off Unread

ALL of the Reacher books I've read have been in the third person - straight out of the trap the new first person writing style jarred

I'm barely 20 pages in and I've already Googled "Jack Reacher Better off Dead Review" and it's scoring 1.4 stars - truly being blasted by many fans of the series

It's just not "right" - I'll not reduce it to the charity shop pile . . . just yet. I may revisit it at some time, maybe when it's even sunnier and warmer and I've taken a lot more drink and I can sit outside in the sun

But before I even think about getting the next one, if there even is a next one, I'll be looking for reviews FIRST and then purchase later

I mean . . . who the FUCK writes a Reacher book in the first person :mad::mad::mad: it's not that hard, is it??

Last edited:
The latest Reacher book - Better off Unread

ALL of the Reacher books I've read have been in the third person - straight out of the trap the new first person writing style jarred

I'm barely 20 pages in and I've already Googled "Jack Reacher Better off Dead Review" and it's scoring 1.4 stars - truly being blasted by many fans of the series

It's just not "right" - I'll not reduce it to the charity shop pile . . . just yet. I may revisit it at some time, maybe when it's even sunnier and warmer and I've taken a lot more drink and I can sit outside in the sun

But before I even think about getting the next one, if there even is a next one, I'll be looking for reviews FIRST and then purchase later

I mean . . . who the FUCK writes a Reacher book in the first person :mad::mad::mad: it's not that hard, is it??
Hasn't Lee Child's brother taken over writing it ?

Hasn't Lee Child's brother taken over writing it ?
I believe that he's been involved with this one, bit of a baton passing exercise, if you will, but the baton has been well and truly fumbled - changing the fucking "point of view" from what's been expected to some new fangled "I did this" and "I broke his arm" and "I didn't die I was holding my breath . . . for several pages and a medical examination, so much so that the pathologist "pronounced me proper dead"" - it's taking the piss, that's what it is

I've got too much invested in the Jack Reacher series of books for this level of upheaval

I believe that he's been involved with this one, bit of a baton passing exercise, if you will, but the baton has been well and truly fumbled - changing the fucking "point of view" from what's been expected to some new fangled "I did this" and "I broke his arm" and "I didn't die I was holding my breath . . . for several pages and a medical examination, so much so that the pathologist "pronounced me proper dead"" - it's taking the piss, that's what it is

I've got too much invested in the Jack Reacher series of books for this level of upheaval
I've only read a couple tbf , but did enjoy the recent TV series .

I've only read a couple tbf , but did enjoy the recent TV series .
The first of many, a LOT of Jack Reacher fans hope

There's another thread about the Amazon Prime series and I'm probably in the minority, but I can give Tom Cruise a "pass" when he plays Reacher in the two films but the TV mini series is excellent . . . finally a "large" Jack Reacher

The first of many, a LOT of Jack Reacher fans hope

There's another thread about the Amazon Prime series and I'm probably in the minority, but I can give Tom Cruise a "pass" when he plays Reacher in the two films but the TV mini series is excellent . . . finally a "large" Jack Reacher
I enjoyed the Cruise films tbf, ridiculous nonsense of course , but very watchable.

Oddly, I'm reading a Bosch book at the mo that is written (for the first time) in the first person. It's not been great tbh, though to sure if that is because of the firstperson-ness

The first book is written in the first person, IIRC? I know some of them are.

I haven't (needed to) start Better Off Dead yet, I still have this to read (well, listen, I only do audiobooks). It's very good so far as it goes. Don't Know Jack: The Hunt for Jack Reacher Series (1): Amazon.co.uk: Capri, Diane: 9781942633204: Books

This seems to be a special edition or series 'The Hunt for Jack Reacher'
Yes, you're right they are written in both first and third person, it's just, I'm fairly certain, that I've not read one before . . . so, maybe, I will revisit this book and try and "get over" my initial distaste

Back
Top Bottom