Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Israel and hezbollah after the exploding pagers

Well these are soundbites, aren't they. Not stated Israeli policy. The kind of nonsense you say to someone who's just given you a load of bombs and guns, or to drum-up overseas support from the kind of folk who will go away and post in the comments section of The Telegraph.

Nobody seriously thinks that Israel has attacked Gaza and the West Bank to defend western values, any more than they believe Putin's latest adventure is about the denazification of Ukraine.
No one except the president of Israel it seems

Just on the pager attacks and the question of discrimination...

This question is a legal question of whether the attacks could distinguish between combatants and civilians not whether the attacks were targeted or whether the attacks were random.

To give an example Hamas rocket attacks are not guided and therefore cannot distinguish between combatants and civilians. The question of whether they have intended targets is moot. Similarly with Israeli flechettes (look them up if you feel so inclined, they're pretty grim) which were used in 2008/9.

So I suppose there is a question of to what extent an attack can effectively discriminate between civilians and combatants. You can probably take either side on this one. I'm fairly convinced these pager bombs couldn't in any meaningful respect. Collectively they're like a series of car bombs in my mind - fairly standard terrorist attacks.

Does any of the above matter much? No not really. I won't be arguing about it and I'm disappointed by the navel gazing it has inspired. Southern Lebanon is about to be laid waste to. Gaza has been destroyed and is now uninhabitable, it's population decimated. There may be a broader war bringing in America and Iran. How some of you find the energy to quibble about this particular matter is beyond me.

I'm not quibbling.

This started because I , instead of just spouting off, looked up the legal stuff on this particular case. Which is relevant to this thread.

And was criticised for doing so.

If one looks at the Gaza thread it will be seen I've posted a lot about the laying to waste of Gaza.

Which I notice some posters going on here about the pager attack absented themselves from.

As the main Gaza thread has been considered by some as so appalling.

Not for "decent" people was one remark

Quibbling about international law isn't irrelevant. It's one of few ways those who support Palestinian rights have of taking critical stance towards Israel.

Last edited:
Yes but I don't think the indiscriminate (or not) nature of the attack is going to be resolved on here. In my mind it's in the category of "probable Israeli war crime" along with many others preceding it and inevitably following it.

And yes it's the both-siders who are in quibble mode not you Gramsci. It happened before with the Al Ahli hospital bombing.

If one looks at the Gaza thread it will be seen I've posted a lot about the laying to waste of Gaza.

Which I notice some posters going on here about the pager attack absented themselves from.

Personally, I've stuck that thread back on ignore. It's just the usual left wing extremism that occasionally flirts heavily with anti-Semitism.

This one was set-up to discuss this specific action, which has kept it relatively sane.

An auto-outreach cold email . They send thousands of these out a year.

Daily!

As an aside; I spent half an hour arguing with a marketing bot today, trying to confuse it.

They're getting really good, and even do indignance:

I completely understand your concerns and assure you that the final reports will be thoroughly researched and written with a focus on quality and originality

Then this when I suggested she wasn’t real:

But I want to know about this: How did you say I wrote these answers using an AI-generated tool? Could you provide any proof to make sure? I think you do not need to underestimate anyone, okay? It would be better if you could first visit my profile and get to know me.
Obviously, the link goes to an AI generated profile, but it's a massive heads-up.

It's got to the stage where even people who know what to look for, can't tell immediately if it's a bot.

Now I just ask for a phone call.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom