Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is there a physicist or possibly chemist in the house.

Sasaferrato

Super Refuser!
If I take a block of dry ice and place it in a box exactly the same size as the block, then put on a very firmly fixed lid, what would happen?

Presumably the pressure would slowly ruse as it goes from solid to gass.

Perhaps at some point the pressure would be enough that it liquefied?

If I take a block of dry ice and place it in a box exactly the same size as the block, then put on a very firmly fixed lid, what would happen?
Unless it's a very strong 'box' (see fbm's video above) it will just turn into a gas which could make the box distort/break.

Don't do as some mates did and stick some in the bog (in a club) hoping to fill the gents with fog. When nothing happened after a while they went back and flushed the loo. The resulting thermal shock caused the pan to break. :eek: :D

Midges. The absolute curse of Scotland for much of the year.

What I was hoping was that the dry ice, being confined, would remain as a block, thereby allowing you to vent the box, and release the CO2 at a steady rate.

CO2 is what attracts the midges, the CO2 in your exhaled breath.

I was toying with the idea that releasing CO2 at a greater rate than breath CO2 might lure the little bastards away from people.

When I were a lad on Harris, the ice cream was delivered in insulated boxes and packed round with dry ice, this was still solid when it arrived. The cafe owner used to decant it onto the pavement, and we played football with it.

To answer the question..

"Never store dry ice in an airtight container. As the dry ice melts from a solid directly into a gas, the gas will build up in the container until it bursts. Sharp pieces of container will go flying all over the place."

But..

You could suck it and see??

In view of the link you posted, I'll leave that honour to you. :eek: :D

To answer the question..

"Never store dry ice in an airtight container. As the dry ice melts from a solid directly into a gas, the gas will build up in the container until it bursts. Sharp pieces of container will go flying all over the place."

But..

Do not suck dry ice! Do not put it in your mouth! The damage done could quite literally kill you, at best you'll get very bad burns.

To answer the question..

But..

I would definitely not suck it. :eek: :(

I remember going to a party where somebody (from the research part of the company) had just put some dry ice in a bucket and also some beers. It just sat there boiling away - didn't last very long but longer than I would have thought. Yes it was in the garden not indoors.

Back
Top Bottom