Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help iphone problem (my daughters) that I don't understand

ATOMIC SUPLEX

Right, so basically I am not sure what exactly is going on because my teenage daughter is not the best at explaining things (and is in a tearful teen strop), plus I know nothing about iphones.

She says she wants to delete the cache from her phone, but tells me iphones don't do this. She says she has to back up the phone to the icloud, wipe the phone and then put all her stuff back on.
For some reason her icloud is full up of photos she has taken. She deleted these (she thought) from icloud, but it is still showing that icloud is full of photos and she has no space. What could be going on? She is also scared of losing all her photos, but seems to think they are also all saved to google (which is probably why she has zero space on her google account too. . . but this is probably another problem all together.

What am I even asking? I guess I am asking how to remove all the photos from the icloud (and maybe get them on a drive for safety).

The simplest thing may be to upgrade the icloud storage, thus enabling the backup and then wiping of the phone.

The other option of backup to an HD woud also work but it may be a lengthy process via the internet if we're talking tens of gigabytes of data and so on, then the downloading back to a phone and the inevitable lack of icloud storage again. Obvs there is a cost but it depends how much hassle you can be bothered with.

UK monthly costs per below:
50 GB: £0.99
200 GB: £2.99
2 TB: £8.99
6 TB: £26.99
12 TB: £54.99

via: iCloud+ plans and pricing

For the cost of a few quid a month and an almost instant solution upgrade the iCloud storage capacity surely as per skyscraper101 suggestion.

Think that’s what I did and for £0.99 / month it’s been pretty good

I had a similar thing, despite deleting loads of photos I could not get the free cloud storage down to a useable level, seems to be a way to force you to pay for storage. Which was my only working solution

The simplest thing may be to upgrade the icloud storage, thus enabling the backup and then wiping of the phone.

The other option of backup to an HD woud also work but it may be a lengthy process via the internet if we're talking tens of gigabytes of data and so on, then the downloading back to a phone and the inevitable lack of icloud storage again. Obvs there is a cost but it depends how much hassle you can be bothered with.

UK costs per below:

United Kingdom (GBP)

She has already deleted the pictures, and loads seem to have gone (apart from maybe the last 50) but the storage space has not been freed up.

She has already deleted the pictures, and loads seem to have gone (apart from maybe the last 50) but the storage space has not been freed up.

Are they totally deleted, as in removed from trash/deleted folder too? I've no idea why that wouldn't free up storage space, unless it's just one of those things that takes a day or so to register. It may be worth giving it time.

UK monthly costs per below:

This would be my suggestion too.

It was when this happened that I realised iphone photos are a pita to handle long term
It's crazy. So simple on my Samsung. Install a massive extra memory card (for next to nothing) then transfer data from it if I have to.
Why on earth do iphones make it so hard (don't answer, I'm sure it's to lock you in to their system). The only thing I find odd is that people still buy them when restrained in this way.

It's crazy. So simple on my Samsung. Install a massive extra memory card (for next to nothing) then transfer data from it if I have to.
Why on earth do iphones make it so hard (don't answer, I'm sure it's to lock you in to their system). The only thing I find odd is that people still buy them when restrained in this way.
I've had one every 2-3 years for over a decade now, not once has it felt like a constraint tbh but then I always buy my phone based on need which means higher capacity storage.

I assume this is sorted now, but...

Did she mean clear the browser cache in Safari or Chrome or whatever?

What was the issue she was experiencing that led her to think that this was the solution?

'iPhones don't do this' is bollocks.

Back
Top Bottom