Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Inappropriate Development

AnandLeo

Tipple Ripple
Sripada-.jpg
:confused::facepalm:

Does seem a very strange place for a deity or progenitor to leave just the one footprint though. Does the Lord Buddha play hopscotch?

As an example of 'inapproprate development' i'm not sure you could do any worse really. Suspect that Anand's objection is in some way religious / political.

Theres lots of castles, towers and other buildings built into the rockface
what i dont get is arent these very prone to falling over? looks like theres a bit of a soil erosion issue in the area here....

Desert_View_Watchtower-1030x486 (1).jpg

loads here
seems very risky to me
Schloss-Lichtenstein-Castle-on-Cliff-Fairytale-Germany-2.jpg
Glad to see Dunottar at the top of the list. Walking towards it along the footpath from the inland direction and seeing it come into view in front of you is an utterly primal feeling of awe.

As an example of 'inappropriate development' i'm not sure you could do any worse really. Suspect that Anand's objection is in some way religious / political.
I understand the suggestion of religious/ political influence for objecting the incompatible concrete boxes surrounding a world famous scenic viewpoint, and a sacred peak. However, I do not have any religious or political emotions, and far from it. I am a low profile environmentalist, civil engineer, photographer, mountain walker, and so on. My motives are scenic, aesthetic, heritage, and natural environment oriented. The temple grounds on the peak have nestled in the surrounding natural environment for centuries, and millennia. At the turn of the 20th century, some developers have been able to encroach on the Peak Wilderness Nature Reserve which needs to be protected and enjoyed. In my opinion these slum looking concrete boxes are incongruous with the temple edifices on the peak and the surrounding woodland. They destroy the scenic serenity and grandeur of the peak.

Last edited:
Handy for local amenities, if there were any.
Amenities are an important issue. However, we have to balance the level of amenities available near to the summit, because the peak is focal point of aesthetic, and needs to be protected from a jumble of concrete. The architecture of concrete boxes that have been built around the summit of Adams Peak is incompatible with the architecture and aesthetics of the temple edifices and the surrounding landscape. I would suggest small brick buildings hidden under the canopy of forest at least 100m below the summit are suitable for essential basic amenities such as resting and toilets. There is no place for a tourist resort on the holy Adams Peak in the Peak Wilderness Nature Reserve. Further down the Adams Peak there is more scope for amenities. My point is about visual impacts, aesthetics, and of course the religious sensitivity. Now the damage is done. I hope and pray the authorities will stop the further expansion of this desecration.

Back
Top Bottom