Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

In memoriam

Jay Park

Quasi-Hobo
Banned
This thread is for us to remember the victims, only the victims, unless someone feels room for discourse on other related matters.

So in memory of: Wilma McCann (1975), Emily Jackson (1976), Irene Richardson (1977), Patricia "Tina" Atkinson (1977), Jayne MacDonald (1977), Jean Jordan (1977), Yvonne Pearson (1978), Helen Rytka (1978), Vera Millward (1978), Josephine Whitaker (1979), Barbara Leach (1979), Marguerite Walls (1980) and Jacqueline Hill (1980).

And the 9 other women whom were viciously attacked: unnamed woman (1969), Anna Rogulskyj (1975), Olive Smelt (1975), Tracy Browne (1975), Marcella Claxton (1976), Marilyn Moore (1977), Upadhya Bandara (1980), Maureen (or Mo) Lea (1980) and Theresa Sykes (1980). Claxton was four months pregnant when she was attacked, and lost the baby she was carrying.

So that’s 14 we lost, 9 hurt, and many lives destroyed and/or affected.

Thank you Jay Park for naming some of his victims. I'm sick of hearing murders names endlessly repeated while those who suffered are forgotten. Why do we do this? Why is our culture so obsessed with murder and violence? - we must not idolise these violent murderers, lets forget them.

Not only were those women murdered but there repuations were dragged in the mud in the press and in court. This is why we needed Reclaim the night marches.

there was a good progamme on Radio 4 BBC Radio 4 - Woman's Hour, Remembering the victims of Peter Sutcliffe; Women in the wedding industry; Kate Malone, The Peter Sutcliffe case: “Women didn’t have a voice”

They began by naming those who were murdering.

He was convicted of the murders of 13 women, and the attempted murder of 7 others, in Yorkshire and the north-west of England between 1975 and 1980. Joan Smith reported on the investigations at the time and believes that the misogynistic attitudes of the police negatively affected the effectiveness of the investigation. She speaks to Jane Garvey on BBC Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour.

1605824391031.png

Saw the Netflix doc the other day. The coppers who appeared on it seemed fairly straight, but I don't think it did enough to hammer home just how little the police cared for the initial victims.

What I did like is that that dead bastard only got mentioned in the last 20 mins. But seeing all the weapons he used on those - words like poor/unfortunate, just seem platitudinous - those beautiful women shook me to the core.

What a rotten bastard.

Saw the Netflix doc the other day. The coppers who appeared on it seemed fairly straight, but I don't think it did enough to hammer home just how little the police cared for the initial victims.

What I did like is that that dead bastard only got mentioned in the last 20 mins. But seeing all the weapons he used on those - words like poor/unfortunate, just seem platitudinous - those beautiful women shook me to the core.

What a rotten bastard.
I don’t know if you can access it where you are, but the recent bbc three-part doc has a more explicit focus on how societal misogyny hurt the women in the case.

Back
Top Bottom