Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Iggy Pop - Crystal Palace 1 July "Dog Day Afternoon"

Apologies if I should have put this in "hot upcoming gigs"
Mods, feel free to move it if I have transgressed

Looking forward to seeing some old punks before they pass.
Anyone know where I can locate set times?
Want to see SLF and the remnants of Buzzcocks, but don't really want to be there from 1pm)

View attachment 381139
I thought about going to that, but decided not to.

Would love to see Iggy, sort of interested in Gen Sex. I was never a Blondie fan though, and Buzzcocks were a “bit disappointing” when I saw them at a festival last year.

Don’t want to put you off though. Have fun.

And self answered

Found this on a Facebook page,. Can't vouch for accuracy

1688035511058.png

Last edited:
I know it's not THE stuff little fingers, but it's given me an ear worm from one of my favourite bands ever

TBH I felt the Buzzcocks were phoning it in. Assuming it was Diggle singing?

Not that you asked but SLF were fully engaged and I enjoyed.

Blondie also superb - It was Debbie Harry's 78th birthday. Not bad going. Put on a great show (especially since I had last seen them in a "remember these" slot at Glastonbury 24 years ago .

Missed Lambrini girls, but heard them doing "Boys in the band" as we were entering. It sounded good and I am sad I missed them
did
Iggy - still giving it his all, although I suspect he must now be in constant pain. He seemed to enjoy himself and was engaged with the crowd. Did all the favourites - what more could you want
There's a set list here: (I see one of the contributors is named Belboid (possibly belboid of this parish?)

On the less positive side the bars were limited to 1 beer and 1 cider choice. £6 for a 330ml can of warm 3.8% Carlsberg wasn't really what I would call consumer choice. I've been spoiled by the experience of far better set ups

Yup, pretty much agree with all that. Iggy on cracking form, Debbie’s voice has pretty much gone, but she is still one hell of a performer. Generation Sex managed to be shitter than I thought was possible.

SLF won themselves several new fans, absolutely brilliant performance, helped by the fact that Jake Burns can still sing.

Hah. Had completely forgotten Gen Sex - They obviously went in one ear and out the other without troubling my memory centres

But now you mention it I do recall Idol's link to one of the old pistols songs , something along the lines of "this was on the swindle album. Cookie and Jones didn't get to perform it"
Whatever he said, it was exactly the same words he had used at Glastonbury the week before (I had the misfortune of watching that on iPlayer last week. So not a lot of spontaneity in that set

Hah. Had completely forgotten Gen Sex - They obviously went in one ear and out the other without troubling my memory centres

But now you mention it I do recall Idol's link to one of the old pistols songs , something along the lines of "this was on the swindle album. Cookie and Jones didn't get to perform it"
Whatever he said, it was exactly the same words he had used at Glastonbury the week before (I had the misfortune of watching that on iPlayer last week. So not a lot of spontaneity in that set
Assume they are a Pistols&GenX mash up?

Billy Idol, Tony James and a couple of the lesser sexpistols (Cook & Jones)
(and, as an "it's a small world" bonus, Glen Matlock wa playing bass with Blondie)

Another thing I now remember is they managed to do a whole set's worth of visuals without a single photo of Lydon

I'd never heard of Generation Sex, but on paper those four band members should be awesome.

And probably have a combined age higher that the average England cricket teams five day score.

TBH I felt the Buzzcocks were phoning it in. Assuming it was Diggle singing?

Not that you asked but SLF were fully engaged and I enjoyed.

Blondie also superb - It was Debbie Harry's 78th birthday. Not bad going. Put on a great show (especially since I had last seen them in a "remember these" slot at Glastonbury 24 years ago .

Missed Lambrini girls, but heard them doing "Boys in the band" as we were entering. It sounded good and I am sad I missed them
did
Iggy - still giving it his all, although I suspect he must now be in constant pain. He seemed to enjoy himself and was engaged with the crowd. Did all the favourites - what more could you want
There's a set list here: (I see one of the contributors is named Belboid (possibly belboid of this parish?)

On the less positive side the bars were limited to 1 beer and 1 cider choice. £6 for a 330ml can of warm 3.8% Carlsberg wasn't really what I would call consumer choice. I've been spoiled by the experience of far better set ups
Pretty much agree with all that.

I thought it was going to be at the bowl, which is a much better set up. A shame the bars and toilets were such a long way from the stage.

This was pretty much a homecoming for Billy Idol (from Bromley) thought he would have mentioned it.

Highlight of the day was Blondie, they sounded great. Respect not just to Debbie, but to Clem Burke for his stamina.

Didn’t try on this occasion. Am going to scout the lay of the land and then go.
This is the place where the band are on the other side of the lake isn't it?

I saw Pixies there once. Bit weird with a body of water between you and the band. Some bloke off his nut swam over to them then tried to climb onstage soaking wet and got intercepted by security before he managed to electrocute himself / the band / anyone else in the vicinity. :D Kim Deal was killing herself laughing at him.

This is the place where the band are on the other side of the lake isn't it?

I saw Pixies there once. Bit weird with a body of water between you and the band. Some bloke off his nut swam over to them then tried to climb onstage soaking wet and got intercepted by security before he managed to electrocute himself / the band / anyone else in the vicinity. :D Kim Deal was killing herself laughing at him.
I was at that one too. Kim Deal said 'I guess only English guys do that kind of thing'

This one was in the same park, but a different part of the park.

Back
Top Bottom