Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Identifying amateur archaeological finds?

platinumsage

HaveMyPassword123
Are there any experts here, or is there anywhere on the web where clueless people can get archaeologists or people with some clue to ID their random stuff? I did look for forums but didn't find anything.

I have this bit of flint which I've long suspected looks a bit like an arrow head, although admittedly a bit of a shit one. Perhaps it's just a random bit of flint.

Also this fragment of glazed pottery which could be from the 1960s, or maybe the 17th century or something?

arrow1.jpg
arrow2.jpg
Image11.jpg

My dad found a spearhead in the Thames, he sent it off to the British museum who dated it (4300 years old) and offered him £200 for it (early 1980's). He turned them down and still has it. Guess they might have a look at your flint, doubt they would on the pottery, a local museum might though, where did you find it?

Are there any experts here, or is there anywhere on the web where clueless people can get archaeologists or people with some clue to ID their random stuff? I did look for forums but didn't find anything.

I have this bit of flint which I've long suspected looks a bit like an arrow head, although admittedly a bit of a shit one. Perhaps it's just a random bit of flint.

Also this fragment of glazed pottery which could be from the 1960s, or maybe the 17th century or something?

View attachment 278501
View attachment 278502
View attachment 278503
you know how when archaeologists take pictures of things there's a ruler beside them to indicate size? perhaps you could do something like that which might assist anyone looking at the pictures.

oh and Epona

e2a: i think you're right about the arrowhead

e2a2: this site might be handy https://www.wyjs.org.uk/archaeology...es/beginner-guides-to-identifying-your-finds/

Last edited:
Pottery looks 20th century to me, thick enough you could say it was earlier though, very simple design on it to. The flint just looks like flint, doesn’t look worked

If I look on Google Images for flint arrowhead there’s lots of fine examples of which this clearly isn’t. However, if you search for “microlith” there’s a whole load of apparent crap that is actually not crap.

Back
Top Bottom