Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I need phrases and reccs for cultural highlights in Lisbon

DotCommunist

So many particulars. So many questions.
;that bottle of dirt cheap red please'

'That bread and some cheese please'

'Where is the nearest bog, I am english and will piss in the fucking street if you don't point me to the nearest shitter'

and so on- links to portuguese phrasebooks appreciated.

Also, cultural highlights. As I will be largely carrying a pen and pad to do ekphrastik poesy (which I swore I was never going o do again but the irritation of the form haas worn off) it would be nice to get some reccs for sights I could be inspired by.

Also- do Portuguese people mind if you fall back on broken GCSE franglaise if you you can't make yourself understood?

Which one? I got Quicksilver and System of the world- I'm not reading System till I get the middle one. Anywy I am stuck reading Eriksons 'dust of dreams' which I also got. The blood practically seeps from the pages- and I spoke to him on facebook. I told him he was second pnly to China Meiville in modern fantasy authors, he said he would punch China next time he saw him. Good luck steve- china has been bang on the pies, you'd be punching a doughbag!

Anyway. Lisbon. Where should I be going folks? I like history and art and tranquil parks where I can dangle my feet in manicured streams.

I meant the book I recommended in the previous Lisbon thread - The Book of Disquiet by Ferdinand Pessoa, the poetic soul of Lisbon.

Most people speak English anyway... Lisbon is amazing, lots to see in the city especially the Castelo de Sao Jorge, Feira da Ladra (Thieves Market), but do check out Cascais, head to Poets Park, lots of nice places and very clean compared to Lisbon itself. You can walk back along the coast, take in the fortress and lots of other stuff.
You can eat cheap there too, if you stick to supermarkets in the day.
I loved it, actually. Be aware of pickpockets but it's nowhere near as bad as other places/London for crime.

I meant the book I recommended in the previous Lisbon thread - The Book of Disquiet by Ferdinand Pessoa, the poetic soul of Lisbon.

oh right- no I shall get it when I retun. Get my own impressions first then see what Ferdinand has to say

Most people speak English anyway... Lisbon is amazing, lots to see in the city especially the Castelo de Sao Jorge, Feira da Ladra (Thieves Market), but do check out Cascais, head to Poets Park, lots of nice places and very clean compared to Lisbon itself. You can walk back along the coast, take in the fortress and lots of other stuff.
You can eat cheap there too, if you stick to supermarkets in the day.
I loved it, actually. Be aware of pickpockets but it's nowhere near as bad as other places/London for crime.

cheers- I'll deffo check the fortress and poets park. As for pickpockets, I've got that covered. Zipped pockets and an eye for dodgy sorts.

cheers- I'll deffo check the fortress and poets park. As for pickpockets, I've got that covered. Zipped pockets and an eye for dodgy sorts.

Aye, you'll be fine. I was walking around with a big expensive camera and accessories pack for work, never felt too threatened.

Besides, look at it. It could hardly be less threatening.

1513075-Bica_elevador-Lisbon.jpg

Excellent place , marvellous food and dont forget the 28 tram for a great introduction to the city. Cascais is a wonderful seaside repsort and (If you take the train) , sit on the left hand side on departure from Lisbon.

Very affordable too

Excellent place , marvellous food and dont forget the 28 tram for a great introduction to the city. Cascais is a wonderful seaside repsort and (If you take the train) , sit on the left hand side on departure from Lisbon.

Very affordable too

Yup, train to Cascais from Lisbon Cais do Sodré is about 3 Euros, great little ride.

Back
Top Bottom