Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question I have an old PC I want to wipe

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
An old desktop. Surplus to requirements and out of date. But still working. I’m going to donate it to Remade in Govanhill (who recycle and reuse stuff). But I want to wipe it.

Now, in the olden days I’d have been happy to get on with this. But now that everything syncs together I want to be sure I’m only deleting from the PC and not from other devices that Microsoft know I use and that I share files between. I’ve come a cropper that way before. (There’s stuff I need to stay on my cloud account so that I can still access it).

So, what steps do I need to take?

Degauss it? Assuming it has a mechanical HDD.

Otherwise I guess you'd have to disassociate it from any linked cloud services so deletion from the device doesn't affect remote copies of the data. You should be able to revoke permissions to access cloud accounts from things like the microsoft account login.

An old desktop. Surplus to requirements and out of date. But still working. I’m going to donate it to Remade in Govanhill (who recycle and reuse stuff). But I want to wipe it.

Now, in the olden days I’d have been happy to get on with this. But now that everything syncs together I want to be sure I’m only deleting from the PC and not from other devices that Microsoft know I use and that I share files between. I’ve come a cropper that way before. (There’s stuff I need to stay on my cloud account so that I can still access it).

So, what steps do I need to take?
windows 10 and 8.1 How to Securely Wipe a Hard Drive | Crucial.com

Degauss it? Assuming it has a mechanical HDD.

Otherwise I guess you'd have to disassociate it from any linked cloud services so deletion from the device doesn't affect remote copies of the data.
Well, I don’t want to destroy the hard drive. But yeah, I’m basically asking how I make sure I’m not linked to the cloud when I wipe.

Well, I don’t want to destroy the hard drive. But yeah, I’m basically asking how I make sure I’m not linked to the cloud when I wipe.
if you follow the instructions in my link (assuming you're using windows 10 or 8.1) it should be easy. formatting the hard drive ought not have any effect on things not on the hard drive.

It shouldn't take too long to remove cloud access from the device itself - just a tedious job of faffing around in the various settings. I've only got two I think - microsoft and dropbox. But presumably completely wiping the HDD would do the same job - there'd be nothing left on it that told the machine that it's linked to your cloud accounts.

Back
Top Bottom