Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help How can I batch rename MP3 files to take out the track numbers?

editor

hiraethified
I'm mid way through burning a heap of CDs so that I can finally move with the times and sometimes use a digital controller.

Problem: all the files look like this:

1712672160695.png

So I want to get rid of all the 01, 02, 03 etc numbers in front. Is there an app that can painlessly do such a thing?

Many thanks etc.

A lot of people rate PFrank File Renamer. I’m fairly sure I used to use it for this years back.

Takes a little getting used to but it is free and lets you bulk rename stuff and gives you a preview of what the outcome should be.

I use MP3 Tag.... freeware...your DJ software wont read the name of the file as its seen in your screenshot, but the metadata, which you can amend using MP3Tag...and yeah, highlight all then rename for artist

-though that doesn't solve your problem as yes you do still want to rename the file name too, for the sake of tidyness as much as anything. I still use MP3tag for that , and copy and paste the artist name in, much easier in MP3Tag that in a desktop folder

ideally you want both real filename and metadata all present and correct

sometimes you can copy the artist name out of the metadata and into the filename bit... very clear and quick and easy in mp3tag, give it a try

also recommend getting MP3 Gain and leveling them all to around 92db, to stop one track playing louder than another...this does not affect the quality of the MP3
also freeware MP3Gain Downloads

i spend so much time doing all this its ridiculous :D I like to add years and original cover art and record label info, plus my own notes :D

Last edited:
I use MP3 Tag.... freeware...your DJ software wont read the name of the file as its seen in your screenshot, but the metadata, which you can amend using MP3Tag...and yeah, highlight all then rename for artist

-though that doesn't solve your problem as yes you do still want to rename the file name too, for the sake of tidyness as much as anything. I still use MP3tag for that , and copy and paste the artist name in, much easier in MP3Tag that in a desktop folder

ideally you want both real filename and metadata all present and correct

sometimes you can copy the artist name out of the metadata and into the filename bit... very clear and quick and easy in mp3tag, give it a try

also recommend getting MP3 Gain and leveling them all to around 92db, to stop one track playing louder than another...this does not affect the quality of the MP3
also freeware MP3Gain Downloads

i spend so much time doing all this its ridiculous :D I like to add years and original cover art and record label info, plus my own notes :D
Yeah, I've got MP3Tag and it's ace but it would take an eternity if I used it (I've got many, many thousands of MP3s to sort!).

Is there nothing built into windows? There are ways to do it on a Mac so would assume the same
There may well be but asking it to remove every instance of a load of different numbers in one go seems to be the tricky part.

I use Bulk rename utility to do this sort of thing all the time. It's dead easy if it's just remove the first 3 digits and has good documentation if your trying to do things like remove everything left of the first space and then remove the first space sort of thing.
The interface may well be antique but it did the job magnificently!

Thanks for the tip off. I've just sent a donation to the author because they've just saved me hours!

Back
Top Bottom