Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hope is Eternal - RIP Ray Kennedy

belboid

Exasperated, not angry.

Ray was my hero growing up and still one of the few sport stars that I really admire. An absolute legend in the seventies, powering first Arsenal and then the most powerful football team in English history to unbelievable heights.

I'm not sure why he stood out for me from the others. Nothing like as flash as Keegan or Dalglish, not as nippy as Stevie on the Heighway, but he was an absolute workhorse, a rock solid midfielder who would run and run until the 98th minute. There was just no stopping him.

Six titles, six European trophies, a couple of FA Cups. Not a bad haul for a lad from a Northumberland pit village.

I remember my favourite goal of his, a neat pass from Dalglish (in his first season at the club) setting him off down the left, a forty yard run and then...well surely he has to pass. He couldn't possibly score from there, could he? YES HE CAN!!!!

In my head it was scored in a big match, either a Cup semi or in Europe. Only recently did I actually track a video of said goal down and it turns out it was an all but meaningless late in the season match against Villa. Either way, it was a thing of beauty and wonder from the greatest footballer of the seventies.

RIP Ray, a true legend.

GettyImages-79030097.jpg

An integral part of the team I can still name (in order of number!): Clemence, Neal, Kennedy (A), Thompson, Kennedy (R), Hansen, Dalglish, Case, Johnson, McDermott, Souness.

I remember him very well, he was strong as fuck yet somehow elegant, non-nonsense but a bit dashing, and let's not forget he was a striker at Arsenal before converting to a left midfielder at Liverpool (not really a winger, just like Jimmy Case wasn't really a winger on the right).

RIP Ray, proper legend. Only 17 England caps, my days.

Played in one of the first games I ever went to, the first big game I ever went to. Not only played but scored the equaliser with 2 mins to go.

Arsenal 1 Liverpool 1.

Look at that Liverpool team. And Alan Ball, Liam Brady and Malcolm MacDonald all played for Arsenal.

RIP.

Back
Top Bottom