Highlights disaster?

Disaster / no disaster

• Disaster

• Not a disaster

• Xmas pjs in November, I'm outraged!

Results are only viewable after voting.

smmudge

i know the smudge is true
I had a go at putting some blonde in my hair yesterday. I've had highlights before but nowhere near as much blonde as this!

There's been some discussion in the house that this may be the worst thing I've ever decided to do?

The brown hair dye is on stand by... But I've always wanted that gradiated brunette to blonde look. Maybe I do look ridiculous though.

Sorry for the pjs :rolleyes: :/

IMG_20191125_215745.jpg

IMG_20191125_215931.jpg

Last edited:
It looks good! So much hair too! :cool:

If you want to, you can tone the blonde to make it cooler - that's what I do to mine.

no idea what you are worried about. By which I sort of mean, people can have their hat=r however they like, but actually, that looks pretty good.

It looks good! So much hair too! :cool:

If you want to, you can tone the blonde to make it cooler - that's what I do to mine.

Yes I think a toner is the way to go. It does have an orane tinge in certain a light :hmm: I don't want to go any lighter though, maybe an ash blonde? Is that something you can buy at superdrug?

Yes I think a toner is the way to go. It does have an orane tinge in certain a light :hmm: I don't want to go any lighter though, maybe an ash blonde? Is that something you can buy at superdrug?

Yeah, I'd expect you could buy exactly that at Superdrug. It will contain a little ammonia or something though. I tone with blue dye mixed into conditioner to create a very pastel shade, and then apply to dry hair before I get into the shower. It makes the blonder bits silvery. I just put the blue dye neat onto my orange-y roots. They're way too orange to go blue - they just go a sort of darker brown-orange.

I was in this position a year ago.
Purple shampoo is the way to go first. Lather it on and leave it for 30 mins then rinse. It neutralises any brassiness.
Toner in ash tones can really be hard to wear and can look greenish grey. Plus it doesnt look ok with most skin tones.
Try the purple shampoo and purple conditioner first. At least they're not permanent. You'll need to use them this way at least once a week as the effect is not lasting and needs redoing.

The highlights look nice in the photos so really you just probably want to control any brassiness that could start to show.

To my untrained eye (never dyed my hair, and quite a lot of my hair has now died) I reckon it looks great. Loads of curls ftw. I bet you ate yer crusts as a kid.

The highlights look like you took some sun. They look natural.
And they suit your hair. You've not dried out the curls...so fair play there. I've curly hair too and a professional fucked them up with highlights in the past.

What product did you use? If you dont mind my asking...and was your hair previously dyed?

To my untrained eye (never dyed my hair, and quite a lot of my hair has now died) I reckon it looks great. Loads of curls ftw. I bet you ate yer crusts as a kid.

Yes I did, but not because I wanted curly hair!!

I think I'm going to go for a blue as its more orange than yellow, will pop to boots at lunch and see if they have some blue shampoo. And hope it doesn't go green lol!

Oh. My. God. It looks ace. As someone who has had some serious disasters I would declare that a 100% success.

I have used a toner on mine before - which I bought from Superdrug. Bblonde in Pearl might work. On the other hand I wouldn't take my advice :hmm:

It won't go green but it might go grey if you take it too far. But that's very fashionable :thumbs:

The highlights look like you took some sun. They look natural.
And they suit your hair. You've not dried out the curls...so fair play there. I've curly hair too and a professional fucked them up with highlights in the past.

What product did you use? If you dont mind my asking...and was your hair previously dyed?

Cool thank you :) I figured professionals don't always do a better job but you pay loads, so I'm not losing anything by trying myself!

I used Jerome Russell Bblonde. They have a "blonding kit" and a "highlighting kit" for £1.60 more but they both contain exactly the same cream & powder, which you can also buy separately for about half price! I used a pack and half and left it in for an hour and a half :oops: I still thought it wasn't going to do anything!

I had only a few highlights still in my hair that I'd got about a year and a half ago, by a friend of a friend who is a professional.

If you want a salon to do a toner, mine charge less than a tenner so not much more than a home dye.

It looks great in the photos!

but if it’s looking orange in some lights yes put some lilac or blue over it to take that down.

Directions do a couple of shades that would work, silver toner (it’s pale pale violet), lilac, or one of their blue shades diluted with regular conditioner. It’s vegetable based dye so no harsh chemicals. For the concentration of colour you get it works out quite cheap.

I use this shampoo, specifically this one as the other purple shampoo in the range is mostly a colour care one and I don't find it as effective. Usually found cheap in Home Bargains and pound shops as a bonus.

PRO:VOKE Touch Of Silver Brightening Purple Shampoo 150ml

And I use the conditioner, again specifically this one.

PRO:VOKE Touch Of Silver Intensive Purple Conditioner 150ml

I also use Bleach London smokey shampoo then the Pro.voke conditioner and it gives me a nice grey/silver tone. My hairdresser often compliments me on my good tone. I bleached mine yesterday so I lost the grey tone I've built up but I used the smokey shampoo to rinse it so I've got a nice white tone rather than yellow at the moment.

Yours looks good to me.

So I ended up using Olia garnier (chestnut brown) to tone it down, literally just put it on for 2 minutes. It said no ammonia so I thought it would go easier on my hair, and the chestnut brown is close to my natural hair colour. It just darkened it by a couple of shades. And I'm also using Charles Worthington blue shampoo (it's really really blue) to take away any orange.

I'm very happy with the result, as its less orange to blonde, now more caramel to honey blonde. And general opinion in the household has shifted from "what have you done" to "looks good actually". So a success!

Back
Top Bottom