Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

High-Rise (2016 film)

I think this is one of the slickest trailers I have seen for years.

(Loved the ideas in the book but found the style of writing very stale)

Looks good, very like I imagined it from the book. I don't think it was stale when he wrote it in 1975, it's just a style that's been aped since and I'm not sure it's been bettered, even with our decades old perspective on the way tower block living is now viewed. Captures what we now think of as the social experiment gone wrong and the Barbican style high living together very well.

Anyone else seen it yet?

I loved it (as I have all of Ben Wheatley's work that I've seen) but apparently a lot of people have been walking out of screenings. My girlfriend found it very uncomfortable viewing, particularly the treatment of women in it. It's all pretty brutal.

Saw it the other day. Dark, funny, surreal, nightmarish - but with a definite misogynistic streak. Kind of Reggie Perrin meets David Cronenburg.

Anyone else seen it yet?

I loved it (as I have all of Ben Wheatley's work that I've seen) but apparently a lot of people have been walking out of screenings. My girlfriend found it very uncomfortable viewing, particularly the treatment of women in it. It's all pretty brutal.
I haven't seen it yet, but was intrigued by the trailer so will try and see it somewhere. Ta for the reminder :thumbs:

Anyone else seen it yet?

It was dark and dystopian but (as a woman) I feel that the mysogeny is likely to be something that would happen in that wierd situation. Of course not all men, but in my opinion some. Not sure if I liked it or not but it was different to be sure.

Last edited:
Have not seen the film yet but like most Ballard stories (interesting pun there, I would suggest) it is not easy stuff to work through.

For instance, the novel has no sympathetic characters at all from memory, which is very Ballardian,..

Have not seen the film yet but like most Ballard stories (interesting pun there, I would suggest) it is not easy stuff to work through.

For instance, the novel has no sympathetic characters at all from memory, which is very Ballardian,..
I agree the film had no sympathetic characters apart from the children.

Awful movie, yet all the elements to make it good were there, the acting was good, the cast was good, the aesthetic was good, the humour was good but nothing held it together, there was no clear narrative and what plot there was didn't really make you give a shit about most of the characters.

At best a 5 or 6 out of 10 from me.

Back
Top Bottom