Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

High quality external sound card for Windows desktop PC?

editor

hiraethified
So my basic built in sound card has decided to stop working so I thought I might invest in something a bit decent seeing as the PC is hooked up to a good set of speakers, and I spend a LOT of time listening to music every day.

I'd prefer an external card because I really can't be arsed to rummage around in my desktop's case unless I can be convinced that's it worth it!

It's a Windows 11 machine and I've got no interest in surround sound or gaming.

Is it worth getting one with a DAC built in (I mainly listen to Spotify high quality streams as well as 320kbs MP3s)? Or will something a bit more basic do?

Thanks!

Focusrite are doing cheap refurbished units at the moment

Focusrite are doing cheap refurbished units at the moment
That looks lovely but it seems over the top seeing as I won't be plugging in mics/guitars or anything else musical.

So my basic built in sound card has decided to stop working so I thought I might invest in something a bit decent seeing as the PC is hooked up to a good set of speakers, and I spend a LOT of time listening to music every day.

I'd prefer an external card because I really can't be arsed to rummage around in my desktop's case unless I can be convinced that's it worth it!

It's a Windows 11 machine and I've got no interest in surround sound or gaming.

Is it worth getting one with a DAC built in (I mainly listen to Spotify high quality streams as well as 320kbs MP3s)? Or will something a bit more basic do?

Thanks!
Didn't you buy a DDJ-400 not long ago? It's an external soundcard. I use mine to power all the sounds that come out of my PC (which I then plug into an amp and speakers).

Didn't you buy a DDJ-400 not long ago? It's an external soundcard. I use mine to power all the sounds that come out of my PC (which I then plug into an amp and speakers).
That's not a practical solution for me. I just need something for my PC. having to have that on my desk and turned on seems total overkill!

Zero need for any soundcard if you're listening to stuff, onboard Realtek will do just fine.

If you're recording with snazzy microphones it's a different matter.

As I explained in the OP. It's stopped working.
I misread it as your soundcard stopped working, rather than your onbaord sound

There's no point in "investing in something a bit decent" unless you're using your PC to provide sound to a rave or record your local church organ or whatever. Anything that works from a brand you've heard of should be indistinguishable in terms of audio quality to your headphones or desktop speakers.

I have this going spare. It was my entry level to cubase. but I upgraded over time to pro. If you can use it let me know

Attachments

• IMG_20230218_093353.jpg
    IMG_20230218_093353.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230218_093401.jpg
    IMG_20230218_093401.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230218_093415.jpg
    IMG_20230218_093415.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 11
any USB soundcard for about 20 quid will do. though they usually only have mini jacks. I got an Asus one for my laptop as have the same problem. Works fine. They all have DACs as that is what they are doing, converting the digital on the computer to analog. audio files might get sniffy about the quality in cheaper ones, but I think it’s mostly bollocks. where it really counts is going the other way, i.e. recording with microphones and so on. Which you don’t need.

any USB soundcard for about 20 quid will do. though they usually only have mini jacks. I got an Asus one for my laptop as have the same problem. Works fine. They all have DACs as that is what they are doing, converting the digital on the computer to analog. audio files might get sniffy about the quality in cheaper ones, but I think it’s mostly bollocks. where it really counts is going the other way, i.e. recording with microphones and so on. Which you don’t need.
🖕🖕

Back
Top Bottom