Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

High heels virgin -advise me

Zorra

Suburban lazarus
So, I have never worn heels (I had one pair of 1 inch wedges I got around ok in but that's it) and I desperately want to. In order to break myself in gently, as opposed to gently breaking my ankles, can anyone either recommend some helpful comfy high heels or some suggestions for how to go about it, like an excise regime to get better at walking in them? Rescue me from my great-outfit-awful-shoes hell!

Make sure they fit well - probably a bit too big is better than too small, you can put insoles into bigger shoes to make them fit a bit better, cant do jack about small ones.

A thicker sole (? the bottom bit) will partially counteract a high heel by reducing the amount your foot is bended if you see what I mean. Think platforms but not that drastic!

Practice practice practice. I rarely wear heel so when I do the way I walk makes it obvious. If you wear them lots your feet/posture wil adapt.

Don't bother if they're too big either. I've rarely solved a heel slip problem satisfactorily with either half insoles or heel grips. Or both. They have to fit. Agreed on the thicker sole meaning a high heel but with a lower elevation between your toes and your heels. However the thicker the sole the more rigid it tends to be which can make walking in them more difficult. Kitten heels can be more treacherous than 4 inchers IME. Especially if they are sling backs.

Start with a 2.5 inch or 3 inch with a sturdier heel, maybe an ankle boot for more support. No to any sort of sling back. Then practise.

Buy the gel footpads that you can stick in the fore part, makes all the difference. Platforms are easier than single soles - more supportive and the true height is lower than it would be with a single sole.
A strap across the front is good, fitting on any straps bits of elastic etc are all good.
Avoid shoes which have metallic insocks, they make your feet slip and slide.
If you can afford it, buy leather with leather linings. If its chainstore shoes, then marks and spencer and Clarks fit their shoes properly - Clarks especially. As much as I hate her, Mary portas range for Clarks looks very well done, good fitting and padded socks for comfort.
If you buy cheap and from china, well, sometimes they're not even made for European feet - you'd have more comfort chucking them away and wearing the box.

The problem I find with gel footpads is they are designed for narrow teeny tiny shoes, and I can only buy slightly more sensible wider fitting ones these days on account of a lifetime of abuse but still need comfy inserts.

My clarks ankle boots which I was hoping would be sensible and comfortable despite having a bit of a heel are neither comfortable nor attractive enough to compensate for not being comfy. :(

What size are your feet? Maybe a friend could let you have a practice in their shoes, or even lend you some to practice with at home. Most women have a few pairs of heels they don't wear too often.

One thing I'd suggest is don't go for really high heels straight away - if the most you've worn so far was a 1" heel then 2" is going to feel huge.
Get used to wearing 2" around the house without wobbling, then try 2.5" then 3", then higher if you want.

I agree that straps are a good idea. To get the hang of walking and even running or dancing in heels you need to feel sure that they're going to stay on your feet.

Do make sure the toe of the shoe is wide enough - you'll feel more stable if the ball of your foot (and your toes) doesn't roll sideways.

BTW the bigger the surface area of the heel, the more grip and balance it'll give you. Don't go straight from wedges to stilettos, a blocky heel or platform sole is probably going to feel a lot more stable.

Dr Martens make some great comfortable heels (some are quite sexy) that are about 3 inches high. I don't wear heels a lot and I like their shoes because they're sturdy and comfortable. There's a sale on at the moment too.

I've just got these ones:
shoes.png

What about more glamourous? :hmm:
The annoying thing is I bet I could get size 13 tranny shoes more easily than cycling shoes that fit :mad:

If you want to be put off high heels, have you seen that range the "lost my mojo" hair dye woman (Cheryl Cole ?) is selling ? :eek:

No but why would you think I'd be put off by them, bearing in mind the sort of shoe you think is horrible is exactly the sort of shoe I think is nice?

Don't go shoe shopping in the afternoon, as your feet swell slightly over the course of the day.

Wear shoes in by wearing them indoors, even if you're just watching TV, for two or three evenings before wearing them for a whole day. This allows the shoes to mould to your feet better so they don't rub so much.

God, i find the opposite. Those little knobbles on pavements by pedestrian crossing kill my feet and send me reeling when I'm wearing heels, unless they're wedges!

Back
Top Bottom