Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help me buy perfume

ringo

Macaroni cheese controller
Mrs R's 40th this week and I'm treating her to haircut/colouring, pedicure, various waxing/threading stuff I don't know about.

Thought I'd get her some perfume from the kids to go with her pampering but I don't know anything about it and have a crap sense of smell.

Have considered going the classic route and getting her some Chanel No 5 but it's a bit flowery isn't it? I think she'd like the idea of something classic, but she generally doesn't go for overly flowery scents.

Should I forget the No 5 or does it somehow transcend normal descriptions? Prolly just clever hype I suspect. Any recommendations?

Perfume is such a personal choice (including the way that the smell changes on your skin) that unless you know that there's one she really likes, don't give it.

Even underwear is less difficult to get right.

Do you know what other perfumes she likes and we could suggest similar? But on the whole I agree with Greebo - I have been given an awful lot of perfume over the years. I don't wear it.

perfume's very personal and a lot of people don't like to wear it at all, find it too overpowering. i never wear it but i like using matching shower gel/body lotion so i smell nice but not perfumey. i know it's not the same as having something to wrap up but if you're anywhere near jo malone you could take her there to try out all the smells and then get her favourite in whatever form she prefers - perfume/bodywash/lotion/room scent.

I agree with Greebo on that, I never give perfume unless I'm sure it's what they like and I've been given some horrible ones myself. My mother likes Chanel no 5 but never buys it for herself as it's so expensive so that would be a welcomed and thoughtful gift for her. Dont think I'd buy it for anybody else.

Suppose you've looked around the bathroom and seen what she likes/is running out of.... Does she have a friend who might know, you could give them a ring.

Seriously. Goaty sheep. My girls are always on about it. "Ooh, that one smells like goaty sheep, don't you think?" I thought it was a bad thing, but no, they laughed and said: "Dad, it's a classic perfume!"

Hmmm, OK, she did drop a hint that she was almost out of her perfume at the weekend, but I'm not sure what it is she wears. I'll either check or just get her some Benefit stuff 'cos I know she likes that.

What is the goaty sheep? Gaultier?

perfume's very personal and a lot of people don't like to wear it at all, find it too overpowering. i never wear it but i like using matching shower gel/body lotion so i smell nice but not perfumey. i know it's not the same as having something to wrap up but if you're anywhere near jo malone you could take her there to try out all the smells and then get her favourite in whatever form she prefers - perfume/bodywash/lotion/room scent.

I'd second Jo Malone. Plus they do a little box where you get 3 fragrances so you can mix it up to create your own scent, which would be good if you don't know what she likes.

ringo I'm disappointed that you don't know her perfume! Surely you must have bought the lovely lady some perfume before eh?

anyway I'm going to suggest something from www.jomalone.co.uk I wear Pomegranate Noir which has a heady exotic evening feel to it. They are packaged in a really equisite box/bag which made me yelp the first time I received some (from my sister!).

ETA: I'm thirding Jo Malone!

If she''s almost out of perfume, can't you just check what she's currently using?

Jo malone makes gorgeous scents, but you could still get it really wrong (I like Red Roses, if anyone's wondering...) FTR I wouldn't call Chanel No5 Floral. It's quite a sharp, cologne-y, smell. Not warm and musky, nor floral, nor sweet and fruity, nor spicy. It smells of perfume. I hate it.

Heh, yes, I've bought her perfume before but I don't know whether it's that which she wears or something else. I think I bought her a Davidoff scent last time. Should be be more observant, I'll have to check tonight.

She likes fresh smelling, sporty fragrances, not flowery perfumes.

Okay, it may spoil the surprise but just tell her something along the lines of "I like the perfume you wear, but please write down what it is, just so that I don't get you the wrong one."

If she likes fresh/sporty I'd go more DKNY(I like the citrus energising parfum) but I agree with everyone that's said only get what you KNOW she likes. An example: I know I like the smell of Joop on my friend but it's rank on me imo.

Oh, and if you can afford it get parfum NOT eau de toilette.

Thanks, I really want it to be a surprise from our toddler so I'll check which perfume bottle is almost empty before doing anything more.

I didn't know parfum & eau de toilette were different things. Their price suggests they are!

Parfum is the more expensive but you need less of it and the scent lasts longer iyswim so imo it's more economical :)
Eau de toilette is the watered down bit and you need loads of it ime.

I didn't know parfum & eau de toilette were different things. Their price suggests they are!
FWIW parfum is the one you only use tiny dabs of - eau de toilette is diluted with more alcohol, because it's more for spraying all over (or spray up into the air, then quickly walk through the droplets aka "French shower"). Parfum tends to last a bit longer on the skin, but it's down to preference. Some people prefer eau de toilette because it's less easy to apply too much.

Cheers.

Got a bit carried away at lunchtime. Walked past a Benefit and ended up buying their freshest smelling perfume. I'm a bit impatient and thought she might like something new. Oh well, thanks for your advice, if she doesn't like it I'll know what to do next time :)

Back
Top Bottom