Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

help! lost all my desktop icons

trevhagl

Famous author , company CEO
i unlinked one drive after the daft update today put me over storage limit and now nearly everything has gone from my desktop, every icon to every site etc , surely One Drive wouldn't wipe out the desktop?

Not sure why a Windows update should have filled your One Drive. Can you see lots of files that weren't there before?

It sounds like you've been using Known Folder Move which is where documents, pictures, desktop etc are backed up to One Drive. If you log into One Drive is there a desktop folder with all your old icons?

thanks all, my son sorted it out , turns out the files i have been saving to my desktop have been diverted to One Drive . Windows are utter bastards, this new update is to make everything sync to One Drive so it puts you over the limit

thanks all, my son sorted it out , turns out the files i have been saving to my desktop have been diverted to One Drive . Windows are utter bastards, this new update is to make everything sync to One Drive so it puts you over the limit

Suspected as much. If you have a paid for account it's actually a really good feature as most people are terrible at keeping backups.

Same thing happened to me recently but I found a OneDrive folder which had them all inside. I was at work though and understand nothing about this, so it's possible this was just because I was on a network? Anyway if you have the same problem again it's worth searching your... thing for the OneDrive folder.

Also maybe worth mentioning that IT were a bit pissy about me saving so many important things to the Desktop. Apparently this is not good practice.

Also maybe worth mentioning that IT were a bit pissy about me saving so many important things to the Desktop. Apparently this is not good practice.

did they say why?

Backups, huge profiles etc. But this is Microsoft basically accepting people won't change and so making sure it is backed up. I curse MS several times a day but I think they have done well with this one.

Back
Top Bottom