Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Heel and Toes Tips (Taps) on Polyurethane Shoes

diond

I've bought a new pair of shoes and the soles are definitely not leather but I reckon they are polyurethane. I have such a poor gait that I wear the heels out on shoes within a couple of months.

Has anybody had experience of having their none leather soles heeled and toed?

Cheers.

I've bought a new pair of shoes and the soles are definitely not leather but I reckon they are polyurethane. I have such a poor gait that I wear the heels out on shoes within a couple of months.

Has anybody had experience of having their none leather soles heeled and toed?<snip>
Yes, way back in the 80s. The soles and heels don't need to be leather to be suitable for it. Just be aware that the metal will make you more likely to skid and slip on wet surfaces.

I have the same problem. Presumably your gait is 'toe and heel' so those areas will receive more wear than the actual sole and therefore require reinforcing. There are tough hardwearing plastic compounds for toes and heels, unless you like hearing yourself clatter down the street tearing lumps out of the flagstones. A good cobbler will be able to suggest the most effective remedy.

Has anybody had experience of having their none leather soles heeled and toed?

Cheers.

Pre owning a car days when I walked everywhere, was fitter, healthier etc...I used to get heels and soles repaired at least twice or three times a year. The cobbler I used to go to would put on half soles made from black rubbery stuff and heels from harder stuff. No idea what they were made of but I'd get it done often. It was a really old shop set up in the front room of a georgian house which had seen better days. The cobbler was in his eighties and you could see him sitting there working away in the window. I swear it was like going back 100 years ... shelves full of shoes and boots. His worktable was huge and covered in bits of leather, shoes, bags, tools. He smoked a pipe so everything was viewed through a fog of smoke.
When I was very young it used to freak me out going in there with my mum...it was old and dusty and the smell of musty old shoes, glue and leather was overpowering.
But old as he was he moved with the times and was way better than any of the shoe repair/key cutting places that seemed to pop up around the city.
He died years ago and the shop became a hat rental shop.

Your post triggered memories for me...thanks :)
Hope you don't mind me sharing them.

Back
Top Bottom