Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

HBO MAX Recommendations

BernardM

Recently bought a new home internet package that includes HBO Max and I need some recommendations. I've seen a lot of their classic shows like The Sopranos and The Wire years ago, but I need some more! Just finished True Detective the other night and absolutely loved it, even though season one was by far the above the others. What should I watch next?! Doesn't matter to me if it's old or new. I like pretty much anything.

I presume you've seen Oz if you've watched the Sopranos and the Wire, but if not...
I actually haven't. I'll get around to it eventually because everyone says it basically paved the way for a drama series on a premium cable network. Hard to know if shows like The Wire and The Sopranos are kept in that format without Oz coming first.

I suppose Succession is the most recommended show on this platform currently. It was when I was asking around last year anyway. I’ve heard Billions is also good, but haven’t watched it so can’t recommend first hand.

I suppose Succession is the most recommended show on this platform currently. It was when I was asking around last year anyway. I’ve heard Billions is also good, but haven’t watched it so can’t recommend first hand.
I'm pretty sure Billions is on Showtime. I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing it on the HBO Max app. It's hard to keep up with all these streaming platforms.

Is We Own This City on HBO Max?...it's an HBO series so I'd have thought so.

From the creators of The Wire about police corruption in Baltimore. 6 episodes, well worth it.
Oh yes. I binged it in two days. Very good show and I appreciate them not trying to remake The Wire. It's told completely different and uses modern themes and issues, while still having that authentic Baltimore storyline. I highly recommend!

I've been watching Staricase which IMDB says is HBO Max. It's a true crime drama starring Toni Collette and Colin Firth about the Michael Peterson murders his wife case that's previously been a Netflix documentary series.

I tried the Netflix series and lost interest but I'm 5 episodes into this and it's really interesting so I'll give the documentary another go once I've finished.

I've been watching Staricase which IMDB says is HBO Max. It's a true crime drama starring Toni Collette and Colin Firth about the Michael Peterson murders his wife case that's previously been a Netflix documentary series.

I tried the Netflix series and lost interest but I'm 5 episodes into this and it's really interesting so I'll give the documentary another go once I've finished.
The fact that it’s a real life case makes it interesting enough for me to have made it through the first three episodes. It’s decent enough but at places a tad slow for me. But then that’s a familiar trait with HBO wares.

The fact that it’s a real life case makes it interesting enough for me to have made it through the first three episodes. It’s decent enough but at places a tad slow for me. But then that’s a familiar trait with HBO wares.
Yea that's a fair point. I've not found it necessary to be completely focused on it to know everything but still managing to follow what's going on.

Having said that I think that's partly how I lost interest in the documentary. Well, that and thinking I couldn't cope with watching him for however many episodes it was.

Yea that's a fair point. I've not found it necessary to be completely focused on it to know everything but still managing to follow what's going on.

Having said that I think that's partly how I lost interest in the documentary. Well, that and thinking I couldn't cope with watching him for however many episodes it was.
I loved the documentary and have watched the whole thing through at least three times, maybe four. I’m also finding the drama series pretty interesting as it gives a different perspective on the case, but of course we have to be careful not to believe it all as the director of the documentary says the drama series is misleading.

Still it’s impressive how well the actors in the drama capture the mannerisms of the real people we’ve seen in the doc. Patty and Michael are completely believeable.

So.… did he do it, or not?

I’ve just watched the 4 part documentary “Farrow vs. Allen” on HBO. Really eye opening and astonishing really how a powerful man with lots of money can wheedle his way out of child abuse allegations. Worth a look, although frequently uncomfortable viewing. Mia Farrow comes out of it very well, even accounting for the very sympathetic treatment she gets from the film makers.

Anyone seen The Rehearsal?

My son recommended it and I'm on episode three. It may be one of the most bizarre TV ideas I've ever come across.

Anyone seen "the last of us" yet? Is it any good? Reviewers seem to like it.

Got first ep recorded to watch tonight.

”Unprecedented“, a tremendously entertaining 3 episode behind the scenes documentary following Trump and his family from just before the 2020 election right through to after the events of Jan 6th 2021.

”The Trump family had no editorial control over the making of this documentary“ says the disclaimer at the start of each episode and I can believe it, because they looked like utter twonks throughout, like the filmmakers gave them enough rope to hang themselves.

Presumably though Trump and his team must have thought they would be sympathetic to his cause, otherwise why would they provide so much access including many first hand interviews and cameras following the Trumps during events, etc.

Essential viewing for anyone who enjoys seeing Trump make himself look like a twat. 👌

Back
Top Bottom