Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Have yourself a merry little readmas 2019 reading challenge thread

How many books do you intend to read in 2019?

• Total voters
1/30 Travels With Charley - John Steinbeck
2/30 A Short Walk In The Hindu Kush - Eric Newby

1/45 Ursula LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
2/45 Edward Bunker - No Beast so Fierce

3/45 Frederick Engels - The Peasant War in Germany
4/45 Stephen King - Nightmares and Dreamscapes

1. Homo Deus - Yuval Noah Harari
2. The Kaiser goes: the generals remain - Theodor Plivier
3. The Last Man Who Knew Everything: The Life and Times of Enrico Fermi- David N. Schwartz
4. The Third Policeman - Brian O'Nolan

1. The Gallows Pole - Benjamin Myers
2. Girl in a Band - Kim Gordon

I've been trying to read Petersburg by Andrei Bely for what must be the fifth time and failing. Anyone read it?

1/70 - Minette Walters - The Ice House
2/70 - Joe Hill - Strange Weather

3/70 - Donna Tartt - The Little Friend (re-read)

1/45 Ursula LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
2/45 Edward Bunker - No Beast so Fierce
3/45 Frederick Engels - The Peasant War in Germany
4/45 Stephen King - Nightmares and Dreamscapes

5/45 G.K. Chesterton - The Man Who Was Thursday
6/45 Tibor Fischer - Good to be God

1/50 Mark E. Smith/Austin Collings - Renegade: The Lives and Tales of Mark E. Smith
2/50 Richard F. Thomas - Why Dylan Matters
3/50 Shaun Bythell - The Diary of a Bookseller

4/50 William Melvin Kelley - A Different Drummer

I'm going to go all evangelical now. This is without question the best novel I've read since Steinbeck's East of Eden in 2014. It was written in the early 60s and just republished last year. The pull quote on the cover - 'The lost giant of American literature' - I didn't pay too much attention to when I was buying it, just the kind of hyperbole promoters drum up for most books. But seriously, it might be a fair description in this case.

Wow, that's quite a plug! Thanks, it's on the list

Yep, it's on my list too.
Cheers billy_bob

On my list now, thanks billy_bob

I'll be interested to know what you all think. I've read so much on 'race', fiction and non, that it's rare to find something with a way of illuminating the subjet that really takes you by surprise. Colson Whitehead's Underground Railway did so to some extent, this more so (I suspect Whitehead's very familiar with Different Drummer...). I wonder how much it'll strike other people that way.

While I enjoyed underground railroad , I found the magical realist device of an actual underground railroad completely superfluous to the plot and added nothing

While I enjoyed underground railroad , I found the magical realist device of an actual underground railroad completely superfluous to the plot and added nothing

OK, well the central event of the plot in Different Drummer is fantastical, but it's more speculative fiction than magic realism, I'd say. It's more a 'what if' device to show how people react and what that says about them.

(I thought the device in Underground Railroad worked quite well, though, so you may not want to trust my judgement!)

1/70 - Minette Walters - The Ice House
2/70 - Joe Hill - Strange Weather
3/70 - Donna Tartt - The Little Friend (re-read)

4/70 - Joe Hill - 20th Century Ghosts (re-read)

1. Homo Deus - Yuval Noah Harari
2. The Kaiser goes: the generals remain - Theodor Plivier
3. The Last Man Who Knew Everything: The Life and Times of Enrico Fermi- David N. Schwartz
4. The Third Policeman - Brian O'Nolan
5. The Book of Hidden Things - Francesco Dimitri

Back
Top Bottom