Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Has anyone had a window installed in their roof?

Thora

Differently Ethical
We have a boarded out loft space that my son wants to use as a lego/hobby room - it's windowless (and very hot) at the moment. Hoping we can get a window installed up there, has anyone done this and have an idea about costs and what kind of tradesperson I should be contacting about it?

We have a boarded out loft space that my son wants to use as a lego/hobby room - it's windowless (and very hot) at the moment. Hoping we can get a window installed up there, has anyone done this and have an idea about costs and what kind of tradesperson I should be contacting about it?
I think you’ll need planning permission. Could be wrong though

Can;t pretend to know about this but there is a firm local to us called Velux that installs loads of these.My gf has one in her loft and it makes for a really nice light space.Also very easy to throw open on warmer days.Hers was done by the HA so no idea about cost.

I think (just from googling) that you don't need planning permission for a roof window but it might need to meet building regs.

I'm going to look up velux.

Velux are a manufacturer. Don’t know if they install though.

It’s as good as a household name for roof windows.

Yep. You *can install a velux window working totally from the inside loft space. I was working with a retired roofer on my own house, we put the window into the back facing roof of a terrace, I.e. not visible from the road. Being bold as brass, matey decided to climb out onto the roof and do some of the fixing and tile cutting from the outside. Obvs need a harness or scaffold for this sort of thing. The work in its self isn't all that complex. It just takes time (half a day or so) and you need to be meticulous but it's totally achievable. It's so nice to just stand out there at night, head popping out of the roof.

Eta. Velux brand roof windows are the absolute standard. Don't compromise. They're rock solid.

Back
Top Bottom