Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Handball

The Boy

danny la rouge is probably wrong.
Every other sport seems to have a thread, so why not.

One of the reasons I like the Olympics in the modern watch-whatever-you-want age is that I get the chance to watch international handball in the UK.

Though that being said, I've only managed to catch two halfs so far - second half of Brazil women dismantling Sweden (iirc) and France demolishing losing finalist at the 2015 World Championship Qatar.

Has been a pretty awesome tournament. The unfancied French women's side have made it to the final after two single point victories - including turning around a 7 point deficit against Spain in tbe quarters. The final against Russia will likely be a game too far for them.

The men's final is a rerun of France v Denmark who met in the group stages where France came out on top reasonably comfortably in the end, though Denmark threatened to run away with it at a couple of points.

France can probably count themselves lucky to be there after throwing away a five point lead in the closing minutes of their semi against Germany. The Germans equalised in the final minute, before Narcisse scored a cracker a full two seconds before the final buzzer.

When are the finals?

Like with a lot of sports it's been hard to know when I've been watching 'good' handball because I don't know enough about the sport to recognise the difference, but would like to catch the finals if I can.

French keeper playing a blinder atm. Which is probably just as well they'd be struggling by now otherwise.

Though the Russian keeper is not too shabby either.

Possibly one for the purists there. Russia were odds on favourites and were always going to be tough to crack, never mind with a shot conversion rate below 40% as it was for France for much of the game.

Hansen showing Narcisse how it's done. Karabatic showing why he's on €1M a year - France just aren't the same team when hesy not on the field.

Back
Top Bottom