Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet vs Sporting Bengal Unites (LSC) Tuesday 19.12.23, 7:45pm

2-1 up at half-time through a pair of good finishes by Allen and Clifton, after conceding the first goal from a mad goalmouth scramble following a corner.

First game for a while and understand this is a “squad” selection but never at any point in this game did we look superior to Sporting. Their pace and work rate were easily the equal of the Hamlet all through the 90 minutes and they fully deserved their victory

Half time in the Hamlet dressing room...

"What the fuck do you guys think you are doing?"

"We're Dulwich Hamlet! Do you think these fans have paid to see you guys smash the ball into the net and go through to the next round? No, they fucking well have not."

"We are Dulwich! We wear the badge with pride. And that badge means we play shit in cups against lower league opposition."

"Now you go back out there and you change your attitude. You play for the badge. And you make damn sure we crash out of this godforsaken shit heap of a cup. Or you will never play for this club again"

"Yes boss"

I don’t really view the men’s side as much of my business these days, only turning up on Tuesday nights. (Which is more than can be said for the side tonight). But having seen that game my questions would be:
1. Having been told the importance of the Cups to the fans at the recent Forum, did Hak choose to ignore that or was he told to?
2. Why does he need to see those players in a game to see if they’re dreadful or not, surely they demonstrate it in training?

Other reflections

No game on Saturday so no need to rest everyone against a team of part-timers unless this is a determined strategy to make sure we don't progress.

Ayuk, Clifton and Jeffries all looked strong first half, worthy of pressing for first team places.

Central defence not so much.

Hansson out of his depth, if he has genuine talent then he should have shined against lower opposition. Like Saturday, just showed he's not ready for this level of football.

Preston is a legend and I really don't want to say anything bad about him.

Dougui a terrible choice for first pen. A confidence player low on confidence, was so predictable when he trundled it towards the keeper.

And that was game over. Another honking cup performance. Yes ref was shit but we should have been above that.

Only sad thing was that Bengal had barely any fans to see it. On that performance , they deserve some.

I can’t help but feel like a cup run of some sort would have helped the confidence within the squad and therefore benefit us in the league as well. I know there are a huge amount of games but with a week before our next one and at home it felt like a really good opportunity. Second time I’ve seen Sporting this season now and been very impressed, despite everything I actually felt Alfie Allen came in and had a very good game but also looked frustrated with the lack of movement in the second half

Half time in the Hamlet dressing room...

"What the fuck do you guys think you are doing?"

"We're Dulwich Hamlet! Do you think these fans have paid to see you guys smash the ball into the net and go through to the next round? No, they fucking well have not."

"We are Dulwich! We wear the badge with pride. And that badge means we play shit in cups against lower league opposition."

"Now you go back out there and you change your attitude. You play for the badge. And you make damn sure we crash out of this godforsaken shit heap of a cup. Or you will never play for this club again"

"Yes boss"
This pretty much SADLY sums up the shit we have been served over the past 5 10 15 20 years, delete where applicable.........

Other reflections

No game on Saturday so no need to rest everyone against a team of part-timers unless this is a determined strategy to make sure we don't progress.

Ayuk, Clifton and Jeffries all looked strong first half, worthy of pressing for first team places.

Central defence not so much.

Hansson out of his depth, if he has genuine talent then he should have shined against lower opposition. Like Saturday, just showed he's not ready for this level of football.

Preston is a legend and I really don't want to say anything bad about him.

Dougui a terrible choice for first pen. A confidence player low on confidence, was so predictable when he trundled it towards the keeper.

And that was game over. Another honking cup performance. Yes ref was shit but we should have been above that.

Only sad thing was that Bengal had barely any fans to see it. On that performance , they deserve some.
Pretty much agree with all that, particularly the first point which, along with developing a winning mentality, were the key reasons I could see for Hak to play a strong side. Matches are better than training sessions imo and several of our first choice players have missed out on that without a game for another 6 days.

Defence still leaves me very concerned. 1 clean sheet in the last 15. Parry and Gyebi looking nothing like the quality we expected from them, and I saw nothing that convinced me Okpolokpo is any better than any of the other experiments we've had at full back. Hopefully Harrison Hatfull is part of the answer.

The side salads need to go out on loan / dual registration and play at a level which matches their current ability and get them used to mens football before being as integrated as they are with our first team as they aren't getting much football, and when they do, they're not effective enough.

The club will need to work hard next year to entice me to come to a game like this again.

Last edited:

That's a slightly odd way to put it seeing as they are all first team players already.

Ayuk lost his place in the starting line up recently but had quite a run, Clifton has been rotating as a starter with Danny Mills, and Jeffrey has been our star man practically every game when fit.

Thought Alfie Allen and Bonnett Johnson both performed well last night and probably gave Hak something to think about. Otherwise not sure he would have learnt very much. Impressive crowd. Terrible officiating.
It wasn't terrible officiating that cost us the game. It was Hak's fucking shit tactics.

Back
Top Bottom