Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Carshalton (Isthmian League) Tuesday 26th December 2023

Elsewhere today Cray vs Margate was abandoned in stoppage after a serious incident that saw one player receive emergency treatment on the field. Thoughts with the player concerned.

I felt today followed a fairly similar pattern, excellent first half and 2 really good goals. Injury to Scott just before half time and within minutes of the restart a volley through a crowd of players from a corner for Carshalton and it felt like it was only going to go one way. Carshalton then get a penalty and I assumed another 2-0 lead was about to disappear but a poor penalty was well held onto by Ravan. We still didn’t look entirely assured that we could hold on, but we did and a big 3 points. We really do put ourselves under so much pressure though it’s nerve wrecking to watch, however another good show from Kresh and Wanadio in particular I thought.

Ricketts terrible again.. always so off the pace. Cannot see what Hak sees in him.
Thought he performed his role very well. He’s thereto dot in front of the defence and break things up, which he did well when he has Ryley & Kresh in front of him. Injury to Ryley changed the game as had to shuffle the whole midfield to accommodate a player who can’t perform same role.

A real "game of two halves". Hamlet made a terrific start with two goals in the first 12 minutes and might have been further ahead before Constable pulled off an unbelievable save on the stroke of half time to keep it 2-0 at the break. Second half was a different story with Carshalton, unsurprisingly with Peter Adeniyi in charge, playing attractive football and having the few real chances. Although it only took them five minutes to halve the arrears, and they were subsequently awarded a penalty, we fought hard to hold out for the win.

It was a lovely team goal in the third minute that gave us the lead. A long crossfield pass released Wanadio on the right, he got crowded out befroe he could cross the ball but passed it back to Braham-Barratt, pushing up in support. Maybe Carshalton were caught unawares so early in the game by a left footed full back playing on the right, as he shaped inside and curled a high diagonal cross beyond the far post for Mills to head down for Scott, who trapped and converted with aplomb from the edge of the six yard box. Nine minutes later the lead was doubled from a corner that was only cleared as far as the edge of the box, where Krasniqi fired a first time shot into the net between a gap in the pack of players ahead of him. Although the visitors had a fair amount of the play it was Hamlet creating all the real scoring chances. We were within a whisker of a third goal with a similar combination to the opening goal, as Mills again headed down from beyond the far post for Scott, but this time the midfielder's volley smashed against the inside of the post and rebounded across the goal to safety. Almost immediately Carshalton were attacking us at the other end with a peach of a cross from the right flighted perfectly for centre forward Babajide, but his thumping header was somehow diverted over the bar by the long arm of Constable.

We'd barely had a chance to settle after the break when Carshalton scored from a similar chance to our second goal. A corner cleared to the edge of the box was volleyed straight back into the bottom corner by veteran forward Marshall, lurking on the 18 yard line. The remainder of the game was largely a rearguard action from the Hamlet. We'd lost some of our midfield momentum after Scott had been forced off at half time following a knock late in the opening half, then with less than 20 minutes to go Ricketts was penalised for an attempted clearance inside the box when an opponent darted into his path just as he swung his leg at the ball. Thankfully Constable was equal to the task and held a poor kick low to his left. Despite the spectre of yet more points being dropped from a game in which we'd taken the early initiative, I felt we saw out the game reasonably well in the end.

A real "game of two halves". Hamlet made a terrific start with two goals in the first 12 minutes and might have been further ahead before Constable pulled off an unbelievable save on the stroke of half time to keep it 2-0 at the break. Second half was a different story with Carshalton, unsurprisingly with Peter Adeniyi in charge, playing attractive football and having the few real chances. Although it only took them five minutes to halve the arrears, and they were subsequently awarded a penalty, we fought hard to hold out for the win.

It was a lovely team goal in the third minute that gave us the lead. A long crossfield pass released Wanadio on the right, he got crowded out befroe he could cross the ball but passed it back to Braham-Barratt, pushing up in support. Maybe Carshalton were caught unawares so early in the game by a left footed full back playing on the right, as he shaped inside and curled a high diagonal cross beyond the far post for Mills to head down for Scott, who trapped and converted with aplomb from the edge of the six yard box. Nine minutes later the lead was doubled from a corner that was only cleared as far as the edge of the box, where Krasniqi fired a first time shot into the net between a gap in the pack of players ahead of him. Although the visitors had a fair amount of the play it was Hamlet creating all the real scoring chances. We were within a whisker of a third goal with a similar combination to the opening goal, as Mills again headed down from beyond the far post for Scott, but this time the midfielder's volley smashed against the inside of the post and rebounded across the goal to safety. Almost immediately Carshalton were attacking us at the other end with a peach of a cross from the right flighted perfectly for centre forward Babajide, but his thumping header was somehow diverted over the bar by the long arm of Constable.

We'd barely had a chance to settle after the break when Carshalton scored from a similar chance to our second goal. A corner cleared to the edge of the box was volleyed straight back into the bottom corner by veteran forward Marshall, lurking on the 18 yard line. The remainder of the game was largely a rearguard action from the Hamlet. We'd lost some of our midfield momentum after Scott had been forced off at half time following a knock late in the opening half, then with less than 20 minutes to go Ricketts was penalised for an attempted clearance inside the box when an opponent darted into his path just as he swung his leg at the ball. Thankfully Constable was equal to the task and held a poor kick low to his left. Despite the spectre of yet more points being dropped from a game in which we'd taken the early initiative, I felt we saw out the game reasonably well in the end.
I have to say I really look forward to these write ups, I’m always checking for when you put them, I’m sure it’s been said many times before but they are great and becoming part of my routine so thank you

That was a cracking save!!
I was in line with the player who crossed the ball on the opposite side of the pitch. The centre forward met it so well with his header I thought it was in and could hardly believe Ravan kept it out, it was almost past him before he had time to react. We'd been standing next to Ravan's girlfriend throughout the first half and Dodgy Pete tried to paraphrase Alan Partridge's "he must have a foot like a traction engine" line by telling her "he must have a hand like, er, um, a big hand". (I can't think why she disappeared at half time!) "A hand like a riot shield" might have tied in well with the "police constable" theme but I didn't think of it at the time.

Pics!

In photos: Dulwich Hamlet bag a much needed Boxing Day win against Carshalton Athletic, Tues 26th Dec 2023

In photos: Dulwich Hamlet bag a much needed Boxing Day win against Carshalton Athletic, Tues 26th Dec 2023

Back
Top Bottom