Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Canvey Island, Isthmian Premier Division, Tuesday 15th August 2023

Pink Panther

First home game of the season against last season's 3rd placed team. Canvey had a terrific season, their first at Premier Division level since 2017, after winning the D1N play-offs only a year earlier. They've kept a similar squad, as outlined in this interview with their manager Brad Wellmen, who describes himself a "a Dulwich boy" (although he gives no further clues to the exact nature of his link) and stated this was one of the games he was most looking forward to when interviewed a couple of weeks before the fixtures were released. Wellmen stepped up from being assistant to previous manager Mark Bentley a couple of years ago and has also coached in the US.

As for our own team, there must be doubt over Ryley Scott and Elliott Romain recovering from the knocks that forced them off before half time on Saturday. Unless the rules have changed since last season, Manny Parry should be available despite Saturday's red card but will be suspended for the following match at home to Hastings. Ravan Constable still has 3 matches to serve from a suspension incurred last season, and whilst the goalkeeping position isn't an immediate concern after Jack Ruddy's masterclass on Saturday, Hakan seems to prefer having a spare on the bench if possible.

Slightly pedantic but well-intentioned request - could we perhaps change the format of thread titles like this to "Hamlet Men vs [etc]" (or something similar?). We have a remarkable women's team and it often feels like they get a short shrift on here. Would be nice to try and give them equal billing a bit more.

The date and the league is on there to explain which team is playing.

I didn't see anyone make a thread about yesterday's women's game.
No, which rather does illustrate my point that they don't get as much attention on this forum as they should!

As for our own team, there must be doubt over Ryley Scott and Elliott Romain recovering from the knocks that forced them off before half time on Saturday. Unless the rules have changed since last season, Manny Parry should be available despite Saturday's red card but will be suspended for the following match at home to Hastings. Ravan Constable still has 3 matches to serve from a suspension incurred last season, and whilst the goalkeeping position isn't an immediate concern after Jack Ruddy's masterclass on Saturday, Hakan seems to prefer having a spare on the bench if possible.

Yeh I agree, and by the sounds of things Jeffrey and Ricketts weren't moving too comfortably by the end either. Potentially could have 4 players out.

The midfield still worries me. We look likely to have two players out injured and already I think it looks thin. Unless I'm forgetting someone, we're down to Shokunbi, Krasniqi, and Allen (who I believe is expected to be back for tonight). Ricketts is a very senior player and I can't honestly see us getting 40-odd games out of him this season, particularly given that he missed a chunk of pre-season, too. I'm sure technically he's very able for this level, but I do worry whether his body will hold up for the season - particularly as I can't see who else in this squad could naturally do the Kargbo/anchor role. Increases our dependency on him!

I don't know how much budget is left, but I can't help but think we wouldn't have been better getting another midfielder rather than another defender. Clearly the plan is to grind wins out this season with a very sturdy defence, so I'm expecting lots of 1-0s, 2-1s etc, so it makes sense to stock up at the back, but we have 5 full backs! You can't ever really play more than 2! Then again, HH is clearly well connected (as evidenced by the Woodman & Lawless loans last season) so perhaps it's a good area to some enthusiastic and much fitter pro's in!

Have to say things look promising from the first half. Good going forward, more played on the floor and very good chances. Defence very good on occasions, but Canvey have had their chances.

Overheard some Canvey fans after the game saying that we looked better than Bishops Stortford last season which I take to be a good sign that we’re the real deal this season
It did look promising, although keeping my feet on the ground, I suspect Hornchurch and possibly Billericay will also be better than Stortford were last season. I've heard other clubs' supporters online saying Hornchurch were the best side in the division last time, and they were in pole position with a month to go but stumbled with a sequence of just 2 points from 4 games, while Stortford finished the season with 7 straight wins to overtake them. I've just checked and Canvey took 4 points off Stortford last season, with a 2-0 home win in November and a 2-2 draw away in March, so they possibly didn't encounter Stortford at their best. However I do think it's relevant that Canvey were the third best team in the division last season and they appear to have kept all their key players, so to beat them comprehensively feels very encouraging.

We look very solid defending set pieces, although occasionally more vulnerable to opponents running at us and probing the channels from the edge of the final third. Over the two games I felt the left side of our defence (Chambers & Binnom-Williams) has looked more convincing that the right side (Parry & Ming), with Parry looking tentative and hesitant at times. Hopefully this is just down to so many new players bedding in, but either Tumkaya or Gyebi will have to step into the back four on Saturday while Parry serves his suspension.

There was a variety of well taken goals tonight, The opener was a classic counter attack as the ball was switched rapidly downfield from right to left in just two deadly passes from Ming and Mills, releasing debutant Richard Pingling in the inside left channel to find the net with an emphatic finish from just inside the box. A red card incident worked in our favour this time, as their right back collected an inevitable second yellow card right on half time for a deliberate spoiling foul. Canvey were out five minutes early for the start of the second half, showing their intent to resume on the front foot, but were undermined within a couple of minutes as another Pingling shot forced a corner from which Michael Chambers doubled our lead. That should really have been game over, but Canvey stayed strong and hit back within three minutes with a similar sort of goal to our first with a diagonal pass splitting our defence to leave Ruddy exposed against half time substitute Joe Paxman, who found the net. Despite having to soak up a fair bit of pressure, as the visitors made light of their disadvantage for the next 15 minutes or so, it proved a case of biding our time and taking the chances when they arrived. Manny Parry added the third following a corner before Jerome Binnom-Williams capped the evening with a memorable fourth, dancing past a couple of challenges while cutting inside from the left, playing a wall pass with Krasniqi, then coolly beating the keeper from just outside the six yard box.

Was the red card a big factor? Well, we were already in front when it happened and it's probably a bit harder chasing the game while a man short than it was for us keeping our noses in front on Saturday, but we showed ourselves on Saturday that you can still get something from that sort of adversity and I reckon we saw off a pretty good side.

It did look promising, although keeping my feet on the ground, I suspect Hornchurch and possibly Billericay will also be better than Stortford were last season. I've heard other clubs' supporters online saying Hornchurch were the best side in the division last time, and they were in pole position with a month to go but stumbled with a sequence of just 2 points from 4 games, while Stortford finished the season with 7 straight wins to overtake them. I've just checked and Canvey took 4 points off Stortford last season, with a 2-0 home win in November and a 2-2 draw away in March, so they possibly didn't encounter Stortford at their best. However I do think it's relevant that Canvey were the third best team in the division last season and they appear to have kept all their key players, so to beat them comprehensively feels very encouraging.

We look very solid defending set pieces, although occasionally more vulnerable to opponents running at us and probing the channels from the edge of the final third. Over the two games I felt the left side of our defence (Chambers & Binnom-Williams) has looked more convincing that the right side (Parry & Ming), with Parry looking tentative and hesitant at times. Hopefully this is just down to so many new players bedding in, but either Tumkaya or Gyebi will have to step into the back four on Saturday while Parry serves his suspension.

There was a variety of well taken goals tonight, The opener was a classic counter attack as the ball was switched rapidly downfield from right to left in just two deadly passes from Ming and Mills, releasing debutant Richard Pingling in the inside left channel to find the net with an emphatic finish from just inside the box. A red card incident worked in our favour this time, as their right back collected an inevitable second yellow card right on half time for a deliberate spoiling foul. Canvey were out five minutes early for the start of the second half, showing their intent to resume on the front foot, but were undermined within a couple of minutes as another Pingling shot forced a corner from which Michael Chambers doubled our lead. That should really have been game over, but Canvey stayed strong and hit back within three minutes with a similar sort of goal to our first with a diagonal pass splitting our defence to leave Ruddy exposed against half time substitute Joe Paxman, who found the net. Despite having to soak up a fair bit of pressure, as the visitors made light of their disadvantage for the next 15 minutes or so, it proved a case of biding our time and taking the chances when they arrived. Manny Parry added the third following a corner before Jerome Binnom-Williams capped the evening with a memorable fourth, dancing past a couple of challenges while cutting inside from the left, playing a wall pass with Krasniqi, then coolly beating the keeper from just outside the six yard box.

Was the red card a big factor? Well, we were already in front when it happened and it's probably a bit harder chasing the game while a man short than it was for us keeping our noses in front on Saturday, but we showed ourselves on Saturday that you can still get something from that sort of adversity and I reckon we saw off a pretty good side.
Spot on pp

Ways in which it was like 17/18 etc
  • The crowd, size
  • The crowd, volume
  • The score
  • The way in which at a goal up (1-0 and pouring it on and the ten minutes after they scored to go 2-1) I was worried Dulwich hadn’t scored enough while dominant and would get sucker-punched to drop two points

Ways in which it wasn’t
  • The style. As an example, by my count the keeper cleared long from hands and goal kick 100% of the time.
  • The manager coming to the crowd at the end. Although Hak really needs to work on his Klopp first pump technique. More build up, and get more shoulder into it.

Last edited:
It wasn't just a good performance. The atmosphere in Champion Hill was the best I've seen for, well, years.
The schoolkid advert bangers down the front in the second half for example, maybe only there due to the summer holidays, hopefully not

Pics!

In photos: Dulwich Hamlet make it 4-1 against Canvey Island as Champion Hill ramps up the volume, Tues 15th August 2023

In photos: Dulwich Hamlet make it 4-1 against Canvey Island as Champion Hill ramps up the volume, Tues 15th August 2023

More: In photos: Dulwich Hamlet make it 4-1 against Canvey Island as Champion Hill ramps up the volume, Tues 15th August 2023

Echoing everyone else, was a great night and a strong performance. The team was well drilled, together and very fit. Was good to see Alfie Allen back out on the pitch, committing to headers and tackles. Wanadio has come back a much better player and hats off to Kresh - that was the kind of performance to win the doubters over. Lastly so pleased to see Chambers back - a class act.

Think we will be there or thereabouts. Unbeaten since altona and only one defeat in the last 8 league games with a better squad than last year - and with depth. Respect to Hak and Terry.

Attendance 1,539

third highest for first home game of the season and unlike the two better attendance (6th Aug 2021 - 1,922 v Chippenham Town - 15th Aug 1922 and Braintree 1,808) not a Saturday

Last time we played Canvey Island on opening game of the season at home was 8th August in front of 877 and Pinnock and Scannell (2) scored in a 3-0 win

Back
Top Bottom