Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Bognor (Isthmian League) Saturday 2nd December 2023

Pink Panther

No trains to East Dulwich again for this match, this time it's industrial action. The Overground via Denmark Hill was due to be closed anyway for yet more engineering works, so there's a replacement bus service on that route.

Given the pitch for Peckham Town Women’s 11am kickoff on an uncovered pitch out at Tooting Bec has been given the okay to go ahead, reckon it’s going to be odds on the Champion Hill will be eminently playable.

Given the pitch for Peckham Town Women’s 11am kickoff on an uncovered pitch out at Tooting Bec has been given the okay to go ahead, reckon it’s going to be odds on the Champion Hill will be eminently playable.
Sod’s law - Peckham Women’s game called off due to…
FROZEN PITCH!

I had to switch to Bognor commentary for the last 15, sounded like we were the ones most likely to snatch a winner.

And even their co-con they said we should have had a free kick/pen in injury time.

Unbeaten run continues...

Interesting that Bognor seemed to decide during the second half that a draw was enough for them even though any half decent attack had the Dulwich defence worried.

Yet again Hamlet scored first but dropped 2 points, and it was an infuriating and avoidable goal to concede.

Bognor suffered a couple of early setbacks when one forward was booked for shooting after the whistle had gone for offside in the first 5 minutes, then another forward limped off injured with less than 20 minutes gone. We'd had a couple of let offs, losing possession in our own half with poor passes or miscued clearances, but seemed to have settled down to play some decent attacking football before taking the lead from a free kick ten minutes before half time. Wanadio delivered an inswinging cross to the near post for Parry to touch past the keeper from close range. The good work was undone just as we moved into first half stoppage time, faffing around with tentative short passes in a congested area on the halfway line while defending high up the pitch, and when the ball was lost a quick pass released their right winger into space down the touchline. He looked suspiciously offside from my position (almost in line on the other side of the pitch) but the linesman will have had a different perspective on the nearside, and it's fair enough to give the benefit of the doubt if it was close. Someone did well to get across and cut off a direct run at goal, but instead he pulled it back towards the penalty spot for the substitute to arrive unattended and slam his shot past Constable.

Hamlet looked more settled at the back after the break, with Bognor becoming less adventurous, but we couldn't get much change out of a solid pair of centre backs. Hamlet cranked up the pressure towards the end, as Mills fully tested the keeper with a fierce first time shot from 15 yards (possible the longest range attempt of his Hamlet career!) and I thought we should have had a penalty when Braham-Barrett was taken out inside the box, chasing a telling pass from Wanadio.

And even their co-con they said we should have had a free kick/pen in injury time.
I was right in line with that on the near side. It was well inside the box and looked a clear foul to me, the defender was nowhere near the ball. Annoyingly the referee had been giving Bognor free kicks all afternoon for marginal challenges, but he didn't want to know with the big one right at the end.

Interesting that Bognor seemed to decide during the second half that a draw was enough for them even though any half decent attack had the Dulwich defence worried.
I couldn't understand that. They seemed to have enough pace in their forward line to worry us, plus Dan Smith at centre forward, whom we know to be a capable performer when fully fit.

We do need a striker with some pace to either play with Mills or swap with him. Unfortunately dont think that Clifton is the answer as always seems to be just behind the action. Or we have a midfield player who supports Mills. I know Hakan is trying to get his best players on the pitch but sometimes like Tuesday that means 4 wingers out there.

One of the best days out in the division, a quirky ground just around the corner from the station, in an interesting town with plenty of good pubs and a brewery

Three breweries now - Abyss, Beak and Harveys of course. I can highly recommend Beak - amazing new brewery. Usually very expensive, but a bit more reasonable at the tap in Lewes.

Three breweries now - Abyss, Beak and Harveys of course. I can highly recommend Beak - amazing new brewery. Usually very expensive, but a bit more reasonable at the tap in Lewes.
How have you quoted something I posted in the right thread and replied to it in the wrong thread?

Back on topic, it was good to see this banner at yesterday's match. I hope the malevolent gnome of a National League chairman was there to see it in his capacity as a Bognor official.

20231202_145818.jpg

Thanks for the match report Pink Panther . Here's a slightly different analysis now the dust has settled: Fickle hipsters leave the rest of us to it - Over The Crossbar

"A notably quieter and chillier Champion Hill felt rather different from the tshirt-weather revelry of a few weeks back. The usual queues for beer and bearded gents wearing baby slings were a distant memory."

This is ridiculous. Hamlet's was 2.069. The next biggest crowd in the division that Saturday was just 523, with several clubs managing fewer than 200 spectators.

"A notably quieter and chillier Champion Hill felt rather different from the tshirt-weather revelry of a few weeks back. The usual queues for beer and bearded gents wearing baby slings were a distant memory."

This is ridiculous. Hamlet's was 2.069. The next biggest crowd in the division that Saturday was just 523, with several clubs managing fewer than 200 spectators.
It's all relative. Against Margate there were over 3,400. 1,500 fewer spectators is some drop!

The weather played a part, but so does the football.
I doubt anyone in our division has been playing better football than Hornchurch this season and their attendance on Saturday was 523, a similar percentage drop to ours compared to 788 and 860 for their previous two Saturday league games. Just about everyone's attendances have been below par during this cold snap, and no trains to East Dulwich yet again didn't help either.

Given there were very few, if any, Saturday afternoon kickoffs at Champion Hill in the last couple of seasons its impossible to say whether this is just a seasonal drop off as Christmas approaches or the portent of a more serious drop off in attendance figures. I’m sure the powers that be aren’t going to be complacent about that number of “missing fans” but any glee about “fickle fans” could prove equally prescient or premature.

In the promotion season (the last time DHFC was in the Isthmian Premier), apart from the final, DHFC's biggest home crowd was 2,417, and there were only two other crowds over 2000. Ok, so the last few games were at the KNK stadium, so it's possible that the attendance could have exceeded 2000 had the games been at CH, but the season before, when DHFC also got into the playoffs, there were only 5 home games over 2000 & none over 3000.

I have to say that the reports on Over The Bar read like the sort sneery things that were written about DHFC support before the NLS era. I didn't go to the Hill during the NLS era, and didn't follow what was going on at the club, but I, and a lot of the regular fans back then (I was a regular, went to the KNK, went to the East Thurrock & Bognor play-off finals, went to Margate away game when 'we' beat the 'Moneybags" 2-1, was an occasional steward, did the turnstiles on the first game (Maidstone) that I went to at the Hill which sold out etc) used to find the whole hipster club label lazy and annoying. I stopped going because the Hill is not a good place to watch football when the crowds are over 2500. I went to the women's FA cup game and it reminded me why I used to find going to watch DHFC so much fun - but the crowd was much smaller than even back when I first started going to the Hill in 2013. I guess I should be going to the night matches, football under floodlights and all that. Maybe I'll pick a night when the mens CL is on ;)

Back
Top Bottom