Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

(H) edge of Universe found

gosub

~#
THcJAwe.jpg

Wish I had any idea at all what that is and what it means :)

Astronomers have discovered a vast collection of galaxies that was previously unknown due to being blocked out by the glare from our own galaxy. Improvements in telescopes and data processing techniques enable observatories to discover objects that would previously have been lost in the noise.

As for what it means, it's another dataset that will be useful in building more accurate models of the universe.

Astronomers have discovered a vast collection of galaxies that was previously unknown due to being blocked out by the glare from our own galaxy. Improvements in telescopes and data processing techniques enable observatories to discover objects that would previously have been lost in the noise.

As for what it means, it's another dataset that will be useful in building more accurate models of the universe.
I find it absolutely mind blowing. That it all just seems to go on forever and ever.

Being an earthbound human, I find it very difficult to conceive of spaces not being contained. So where is the edge? What is the edge? And then there has to be something beyond that. Inifinity is a very difficult thing to imagine.

I also find it way more interesting, magical and fantastic than any kind of god.

I find it absolutely mind blowing. That it all just seems to go on forever and ever.

Being an earthbound human, I find it very difficult to conceive of spaces not being contained. So where is the edge? What is the edge? And then there has to be something beyond that. Inifinity is a very difficult thing to imagine.

I also find it way more interesting, magical and fantastic than any kind of god.

My understanding is that as far we know, there is no "edge" to the universe. There's a limit to how far out we can observe stuff, but that is entirely a product of our viewpoint rather than being a physical limitation on the size of the universe.

Even if it turns out that the universe is not infinite, there wouldn't necessarily be an edge in that case either. As far as cosmologists can tell, space as a whole is "flat", meaning that it is the three-dimensional equivalent of an infinite plane. In such a flat geometry, parallel lines never meet and the interior angles of an equilateral triangle add up to precisely 180 degrees. However this may just mean that the curvature of space is too small for us to currently detect. It may be the case that the curvature of the universe is positive, in which case the universe is "closed" (finite), but like the surface of a sphere, there is no edge. Parallel lines will eventually converge in such a universe, and the sum of a triangle's interior angles will add up to more than 180 degrees.

universe-geometry.gif

Here is a transcript of an interesting lecture on the subject, complete with diagrams.

My understanding is that as far we know, there is no "edge" to the universe. There's a limit to how far out we can observe stuff, but that is entirely a product of our viewpoint rather than being a physical limitation on the size of the universe.

Even if it turns out that the universe is not infinite, there wouldn't necessarily be an edge in that case either. As far as cosmologists can tell, space as a whole is "flat", meaning that it is the three-dimensional equivalent of an infinite plane. In such a flat geometry, parallel lines never meet and the interior angles of an equilateral triangle add up to precisely 180 degrees. However this may just mean that the curvature of space is too small for us to currently detect. It may be the case that the curvature of the universe is positive, in which case the universe is "closed" (finite), but like the surface of a sphere, there is no edge. Parallel lines will eventually converge in such a universe, and the sum of a triangle's interior angles will add up to more than 180 degrees.

universe-geometry.gif

Here is a transcript of an interesting lecture on the subject, complete with diagrams.
Iirc this episode of Horizon covered this in easy to understand language.

universe-geometry.gif

oh here we go, another one of those flat universers...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom