Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Guildford's Star Inn defeats noise abatement notice!

editor

hiraethified
Heartbreaking stuff. Fuck developers.

Ms Baker added: "Thousands of people have enjoyed music here for decades but one property developer is allowed to end all that because it interferes with his money-making scheme.
The Star's manager, Georgina Baker, said: "When the planning application went in three years ago, we pointed out that it was ludicrous to put flats next to a live music venue overlooking a pub courtyard, but they wouldn't listen."

Guildford's legendary Star Inn will "effectively close as a music venue" from December 9 after the council issued it with a noise abatement notice.

The Star in Quarry Street, where punk band The Stranglers played their first official gig in 1974, were issued with the notice on Monday (October 15) following a complaint from the developer of a neighbouring block of flats .

Guildford Borough Council leader Paul Spooner had previously given the venue his full support , saying there was "no risk to this fantastic venue under my tenure", but despite cross-party support councillors were unable to stop the legal process.

The pub's manager, Georgina Baker, described the decision as "stupid beyond words" and said: " This will kill our business , leading to job losses as well as the loss to the community of a vital cultural asset. I can't understand it."

Star Inn 'killed' as music venue after noise abatement notice

I wish we could name and shame the utter cunts who complained. Make them pariahs in the town they're trying to change to suit themselves

It's fucked up and happening all over the place. The Flece here in Bristol has faced several threats to it's continuation, not least massive rates hike by the council and potential noise levels relating to new flats near by. Same with the Thekla. . The Surrey Vaults closed following noise complaints from new residents...

I think we're well past that sort of thing, and short of regime change by a benevolent alien race of rainbow-farting unicorns, it's basically direct action or nothing.

I mean, surely they can't just issue an order which threatens the business without due process. Fabric were able to successfully appeal their closure when they were shut down two years ago.

Given the circumstances surrounding the original concerns raised at the time of the planning permission being granted to the new builds, they'd have a case no? It seems ripe for a go fund me campaign style anyway.

I mean, surely they can't just issue an order which threatens the business without due process. Fabric were able to successfully appeal their closure when they were shut down two years ago.

Given the circumstances surrounding the original concerns raised at the time of the planning permission being granted to the new builds, they'd have a case no? It seems ripe for a go fund me campaign style anyway.
I salute your optimism

Seems like they're just going out with whimper if they don't fight it, is all.

I'm all for appeals to buy time, but I think mildly accepting the options on offer isn't going to be enough, generally speaking.
Thar's rent in them there hills...

I'm all for appeals to buy time, but I think mildly accepting the options on offer isn't going to be enough, generally speaking.
Thar's rent in them there hills...

Maybe. It deserves the publicity anyway. It was heartening to see the wave of public backlash, and eventual successful appeal against the closing of Fabric just because 1 person died of drug related misadventure, which was no fault of theirs, and nothing they could've prevented within reasonable circumstances.

Appreciate its a different scenario though.

Maybe. It deserves the publicity anyway. It was heartening to see the wave of public backlash, and eventual successful appeal against the closing of Fabric just because 1 person died of drug related misadventure, which was no fault of theirs, and nothing they could've prevented within reasonable circumstances.

Sure, and worth appealing if only to deny the bastards a few months' coin.

Favourite pub in Guildford without the music nights, they are the cherry on the cake.

Local councillor looks like he might get in the shit for promising to stick up for the place.

Shit business, if the MoS can get a deed of easement not sure why all developments close to existing venues can’t have the same?

Last edited:
I really can't get over the snowflakes that complain about some thing that was happening before they moved into their new place.
Not just music venues - and congrats to The Star for wining that battle, btw.
But people who move to a country place and then complain about the church clock/bells and farmyard animals, or those who move alongside a steam railway that dates from the 1860s and then complain about smuts and whistles ...

Was in there on Sunday lunchtime to wish Georgina luck for the upcoming verdict. It's great as it sets a massive precedent; If the venue was not a nuisance before the development took place then it can't be deemed one once the locale gets developed.

They do nice fish & chips too :)

Was in there on Sunday lunchtime to wish Georgina luck for the upcoming verdict. It's great as it sets a massive precedent; If the venue was not a nuisance before the development took place then it can't be deemed one once the locale gets developed.

They do nice fish & chips too :)
Not sure a district judge's judgement sets a precedent, doesn't that only happen in Crown Court and above? Grand result whatever tho

Not sure a district judge's judgement sets a precedent, doesn't that only happen in Crown Court and above? Grand result whatever tho

Not sure there’s any hard and fast rule, and a planning case wouldn’t get to crown court? So I guess that any future developments near existing venues can’t now complain. Though Guildford Borough Council did fuck up the planning so perhaps it could be argued that was what swung it.

Back
Top Bottom