Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great British Bake F*** Ups

I am making a chilli with quorn mince for the first time ever today due to vegetarian boyfriend. That's got huge potential for "awful".

I am making a chilli with quorn mince for the first time ever today due to vegetarian boyfriend. That's got huge potential for "awful".

Quorn mince cooks the same as beef mince. Just add a little extra oil when cooking.

Oh... you meant the vegetarian boyfriend's got the potential to be awful. Sorry.

Last edited:
Sorry, not the thread for it obviously but slightly related...Sainsbury’s own veggie mince is far superior. Well worth trying. Seasoned so nicely.

I make chilli with quorn mince for the OH - dob of marmite or splosh of Henderson's or soy sauce is good for a little extra umami which imo quorn mince needs a bit more of. He also likes some dried smoked chilli flakes in it as well as habaneros, bit of paprika, oregano and lots of garlic..

The cheese and sage scones I made last week ended up as biscuits. Fuck knows what happened. Either I rolled the dough too thin or the self-raising flour was a bit past it’s best :oops: Fortunately although they were a scone fail they were still perfectly edible :thumbs:

I have no idea why Biddlybee has tagged me, I really don’t. 😄

I do have a few disasters. Nothing too recent but give me time!
The first cake had no sugar in it. The second attempt was better but did have tiny lumps of flour in it. We had to serve it at a baby shower.
The second cake was such a disaster that it ended up on Bake Off Extra Slice. Still so proud. 😄

Attachments

• 3149826B-1B96-4310-BA87-D4459A02E8D4.jpeg
    3149826B-1B96-4310-BA87-D4459A02E8D4.jpeg
    650.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 2C3A480A-815A-4ADF-844A-9D27931BA0A9.jpeg
    2C3A480A-815A-4ADF-844A-9D27931BA0A9.jpeg
    491.9 KB · Views: 22
Oh dear. What happened there?
I think that despite whisking the aqua faba for about three times as long as I would egg white, it wasn't quite stiff enough.

Also that I may have added the sugar too quickly, and I seem to remember we didn't have any caster sugar so I used ordinary.

That might explain how they ended up looking like revolting pools of dribble rather than snowy peaks!

Back
Top Bottom