Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great beers

Ooooooh. This is my sort of thread!!!! Beware, I could bore for England on the subject of decent ale.

Readily available from supermarkets, bottled ale - best I have come across is

absolutely exceptional.

Best draught ale in a pub that I've ever had was a Dark Star Green Hopped IPA, but it doesn't exist anymore. :(
The loveliest pint I have ever enjoyed was one of the first pints of Wadsworth 6X, when it started becoming available outside its home range.

Sadly, it appeared to be a beer that needed careful looking after, and many of its successors, in a variety of pubs, were a disappointment.

I saw it in a pub a couple of years ago, though, and either my taste buds have changed, or someone's done a Boddington's on it, because while it was pleasant enough, it still wasn't up with that first one. Real ale peak experience.

Mostly drink Beavertown Gamma Ray in my local . When I see it , I'll enjoy Dark Star APA too.
Yeah, I buy Beavertown cans in the Supermarket when I'm being lazy. Don't often see them on draft down here.

Dark Star were my favourite brewery in the whole wide world ever, before they got bought by Fullers, who got bought by Asahi, and it isn't nearly as good as it was when served by gravity at a certain festival in Sussex. . The APA is still a decent pick if you are in a Fullers pub though.

The loveliest pint I have ever enjoyed was one of the first pints of Wadsworth 6X, when it started becoming available outside its home range.
Yep, been there. 6X was a lovely pint. There's a couple of Wadsworths pubs in Winchester, but it's not the same brewery now, and the beer isn't as good. Pretty sure it's not as strong as it used to be.

Similarly, Old Speckled Hen used to be a lovely pint, when it was brewed in Berkshire by Morlands. Now, it's weaker and tasteless, and brewed by Greedy King.

Yep, been there. 6X was a lovely pint. There's a couple of Wadsworths pubs in Winchester, but it's not the same brewery now, and the beer isn't as good. Pretty sure it's not as strong as it used to be.

Similarly, Old Speckled Hen used to be a lovely pint, when it was brewed in Berkshire by Morlands. Now, it's weaker and tasteless, and brewed by Greedy King.
I also like Wadsworth's Swordfish, I think some may find a little sweet, but I really like it. Then at the other end of the scale I've found a micro-brewed Pale Ale (Which I'm just about to open) from 'The Brew Shack' in Dorset

Yeah, I buy Beavertown cans in the Supermarket when I'm being lazy. Don't often see them on draft down here.

Dark Star were my favourite brewery in the whole wide world ever, before they got bought by Fullers, who got bought by Asahi, and it isn't nearly as good as it was when served by gravity at a certain festival in Sussex. . The APA is still a decent pick if you are in a Fullers pub though.
I used to see the Dark Star APA in lots of local pubs before the Fullers thing, also love their Revelation. Bought a 5 litre casks of the APA & Revelation a few months ago from their website, they didn't last long :oops:

The Beavertown tap room is a decent place to have a drink , they have a garden (actually the old car park) so should be open again now , it's in Tottenham.

I also like Wadsworth's Swordfish, I think some may find a little sweet, but I really like it. Then at the other end of the scale I've found a micro-brewed Pale Ale (Which I'm just about to open) from 'The Brew Shack' in Dorset
It's Swordfish I drink when we eat at the Wadsworth pub down the hill. Best of their offering.

There are so many different, better, micro brewery beers though.

As someone who used to be strictly lager and cider for a long time and never touched ale, being persuaded to try the Mighty Millers ale from Chantry Brewery in Rotherham was eye-opening for me. But it is also 5.5% so after you've had a few you notice it.
As Euro lagers go, I have a big soft spot for Amstel.

Local Reading brewery Double Barreled do some great beers. Their standard Citra Pale Ale "Parka" is lovely. The other night I had their "Eat The Music" a 6.4% Guava, Mango & Passionfruit Sour IPA which was delicious.
I'm hearing good things about DB from mates in the Ding. I'm not a fan of sours or ale with added fruit juice, but I shall be sampling their beers as soon as the opportunity arises.

The Reading area is spoilt for decent breweries. West Berks/Twyford/Siren/Elusive amongst others.

Steam Brew are rather nice, and only 99c for 500ml. Don’t know if you can get them in the U.K. though.

02470DB4-FA45-4699-B457-AE69896CEE6E.jpeg

My favourite is the German red.

Been drinking a lot of Lidl's Purple Panther porter recently. It's a great antidote to all the IPA I tend to drink nowadays. And £1.09 for half a litre!

Of the IPAs I've had in the last year, and it's a fair few, my favourite was Cerdos Voladores, from Barcelona, which was in Waitrose for a while but has disappeared. Don't be put off by the tin.

voladores.png

Tiny Rebel's Cwtch was a go-to dark beer for me for ages, but that seems to have disappeared from the supermarkets now, replaced by their fruity pale ales. :( (My tastes are generally for bitter beer, not sweet.)

Sadly, it appeared to be a beer that needed careful looking after, and many of its successors, in a variety of pubs, were a disappointment.

I saw it in a pub a couple of years ago, though, and either my taste buds have changed, or someone's done a Boddington's on it, because while it was pleasant enough, it still wasn't up with that first one. Real ale peak experience.
I used to drink 6X in pubs when I was a teenager, and thought it was lovely. Bought some cans a while back, and it was vile! I reckon my taste buds have possibly evolved a bit.

Back
Top Bottom