Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Graphics card installation query

NoXion

You remain unbroken, for your fight... is Eternal
SO I finally got around to trying to install my GeForce GTX 960 that I bought ages back only to find out that my PSU doesn't have the 8 pin PCIe power connector. It came with a adaptor for a 6 pin but I don't have that either.

I've bought a PCIe to 2x 4 pin Molex adaptor online but I wanted to make sure it was OK to use it. My PSU is a Corsair GS600.

Update: I thought I'd pop into Maplin and see if I could buy an adaptor and then hopefully get the new card installed this evening rather than waiting on the delivery. They only had the 6 pin not the 8 pin. Bought it anyway since the graphics card came with an 8 to 6 adaptor. Plugged it all in, switched on the computer, and was greeted with a "power down and connect the PCIe power cables" message. For fuck's sake.

So wait, you connected 2x4pin molex to a 8pin to 6pin PCIe adapter and then that to a 6pin to 8pin PCIe adapter and then that to your graphics card?

So wait, you connected 2x4pin molex to a 8pin to 6pin PCIe adapter and then that to a 6pin to 8pin PCIe adapter and then that to your graphics card?

No, I only had one 8pin to 6pin adaptor. The socket on the card has eight pins, I have a 8-to-6 adaptor for that which came with the card, and I attached that to the molex adaptor.

Back
Top Bottom