Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Google requesting back up email/phone for recovery.

kittyP

Pluviophile
Occasionally I get these messages pop up in my Gmail phone app.

"You could loose access to your xxyears of gmail history.
Adding a recovery phone and email can help you sign
in and keep your account secure".

Now, I am single/live alone and I only have one phone number and email account in use. I might have old email accounts still active but I have no idea how to access them.
When I look at what one should use to put in for backup it says "another email account you use frequently". and not much on what phone I should be using for backup.

What do other people do?

Or should I just carry on ignoring it? :D

Are you actually worried about losing your emails?
If so I recommend you take a look at this.

I have years worth of backed up emails both Gmail and Outlook saved via it

I've tried a few times to help other people recover their gmail account after they have locked themselves out and so far have a 100% failure rate.

Are you actually worried about losing your emails?
If so I recommend you take a look at this.

I have years worth of backed up emails both Gmail and Outlook saved via it

I've tried a few times to help other people recover their gmail account after they have locked themselves out and so far have a 100% failure rate.

I don't know if I am worried or not.
I mean it is not really the emails I am worried about but the fact that my google account is linked to my phone and pc and everything.

How did people manage to lock themselves out?

I don't know if I am worried or not.
I mean it is not really the emails I am worried about but the fact that my google account is linked to my phone and pc and everything.

How did people manage to lock themselves out?
Mostly forgetting their password and not getting it right after the permitted number of goes. The main thing your Google account saves for you is your search history and your settings for Google apps.
What do you mean by everything? A lot of websites offer the chance to sign in with your Google Account and then check your identity with Google rather than maintain their own user database.
That's best avoided tbh bit too much too many eggs in one basket, creating a seperate user is better.
The big problem with trying to get a Google account reset is that it's all done online there doesn't seem to be anyway to ever speak to an actual person.

Occasionally I get these messages pop up in my Gmail phone app.

"You could loose access to your xxyears of gmail history.
Adding a recovery phone and email can help you sign
in and keep your account secure".

Now, I am single/live alone and I only have one phone number and email account in use. I might have old email accounts still active but I have no idea how to access them.
When I look at what one should use to put in for backup it says "another email account you use frequently". and not much on what phone I should be using for backup.

What do other people do?

Or should I just carry on ignoring it? :D
It's worth setting up a free email account somewhere as a back up, just in case.

Mostly forgetting their password and not getting it right after the permitted number of goes. The main thing your Google account saves for you is your search history and your settings for Google apps.
What do you mean by everything? A lot of websites offer the chance to sign in with your Google Account and then check your identity with Google rather than maintain their own user database.
That's best avoided tbh bit too much too many eggs in one basket, creating a seperate user is better.
The big problem with trying to get a Google account reset is that it's all done online there doesn't seem to be anyway to ever speak to an actual person.

I don't ever choose the "sign in with google/arseface/whatever" I use my gmail address to create an account though.

OK, so will open a free email account somewhere and probably write down the log in details somewhere so I don't forget them if I don't really use it.

But what do people do about the phone number?

I don't ever choose the "sign in with google/arseface/whatever" I use my gmail address to create an account though.
Very sensible, so long as you can remember the account and the password then you can probably change your email to something else.

Back
Top Bottom