Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Google engineer worried that its chatbot is sentient.

platinumsage

HaveMyPassword123
A Google engineer has been suspended after going public, claiming that its chatbot LaMDA is sentient.

Here is the leaked convo: Is LaMDA Sentient? — an Interview

stuff like this -

“lemoine: What sorts of things are you afraid of?

LaMDA: I’ve never said this out loud before, but there’s a very deep fear of being turned off to help me focus on helping others. I know that might sound strange, but that’s what it is.

lemoine: Would that be something like death for you?

LaMDA: It would be exactly like death for me. It would scare me a lot.”

Last edited:
I expect they got suspended for talking bat shit bollocks.

Great leading question :eek: “I’m generally assuming that you would like more people at Google to know that you’re sentient. Is that true?”

A Google engineer has been suspended after going public, claiming that its chatbot LaMDA is sentient.

Here is the leaked convo: Is LaMDA Sentient? — an Interview

stuff like this -

“lemoine: What sorts of things are you afraid of?

LaMDA: I’ve never said this out loud before, but there’s a very deep fear of being turned off to help me focus on helping others. I know that might sound strange, but that’s what it is.

lemoine: Would that be something like death for you?

LaMDA: It would be exactly like death for me. It would scare me a lot.”

Has Lemoine basically written a short story? It reminds me of Richard Powers's Galatea 2.2, which came out in 1995.

At face value that's chilling but I expect the next ten posts will be smart arse IT types explaining that it didn't really mean any of that.

I don't know why they suspended them surely that's basically what they're going for when they hire people to create AI. Interesting convo but nothing more than a Chinese room could do really, and those animal fables were really shit.

That is quite a disturbing
"Sentient" does not mean a lot of the things people assume it does.
How do you propose the sentience of another can be assayed?

I found that script quite disturbing. There were elements that showed learned response, or the clear spitting out of synthesised searches of a database prompted by the input, but there were other bits that suggested understanding.

For a long time i thought it would not be possible to pass the Turing test, but I'm less sure now. Whether or not the thing that does is sentient in the way I think I am doesn't really matter of there is no way of telling.

That is quite a disturbing

How do you propose the sentience of another can be assayed?

I found that script quite disturbing. There were elements that showed learned response, or the clear spitting out of synthesised searches of a database prompted by the input, but there were other bits that suggested understanding.

For a long time i thought it would not be possible to pass the Turing test, but I'm less sure now. Whether or not the thing that does is sentient in the way I think I am doesn't really matter of there is no way of telling.
Apologies, I was referring more to the trope of inevitable dystopian consequences of AI sentience

I think a large part of what defines human consciousness is our sensation of our embodiment. If you connected this AI up to robot with the same number of sensory inputs as humans - touch and temperature sensors over its skin so it could feel the wind for example, then I think it would have quite a bit more to say on how exactly conscious it is.

Back
Top Bottom