Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Goodbye Northampton Greyfriars Bus Station (aka The Mouth Of Hell)

editor

hiraethified
A brutalist 70s slab of architecture bites the dust.

3316637271.jpg

hah! I already done a thread. Yours has a meaningful title and links tho

my thread title was 'This Is A Travesty'

shame they put in an exclusion zone really, I was planning to go and watch. Long history between me and grimfriars

I'm in Northampton today and it's the talk of the town, well the knock on disruption to parking and the ongoing general roadworks are.

yeah the continuing de pedestrianising of the centre is causing ballache for everyone who lives and works there. Irks me because once again its the whims of the motorist riding roughtired over the walker!

It's odd. I lived near Northampton - well, Market Harborough way - for most of the 80s, but I barely remember the place. The only things I can picture clearly are the inside of the Theatre Royal, and the hideous concrete exterior of the Grosvenor Centre. I suppose I assumed the whole town was like that, but I've just had a little 'walk' round on streetview and been surprised how pretty the centre is.

It's odd. I lived near Northampton - well, Market Harborough way - for most of the 80s, but I barely remember the place. The only things I can picture clearly are the inside of the Theatre Royal, and the hideous concrete exterior of the Grosvenor Centre. I suppose I assumed the whole town was like that, but I've just had a little 'walk' round on streetview and been surprised how pretty the centre is.
tons of work over the years

The area round the Guildhall, County Hall, 'Cultural Quarter' is really nice. Have been quite surprised given the places reputation. As long as you stand with your back to the Carslberg factory.

ate a cracking Vietnamese meal last night in a little cafe place.

I can believe it's been smartened up, but what really struck me was all of the old buildings I don't remember - especially the Guildhall, which is a splendid bit of Gothic showing off.
that entire little arty corner is lovely- they use the guildhall for weddings sometimes. That quarter also boasts the Renee macintosh building :)

The area round the Guildhall, County Hall, 'Cultural Quarter' is really nice. Have been quite surprised given the places reputation. As long as you stand with your back to the Carslberg factory.

Yes, I do remember the Carlsberg factory; at least the smell of it. Or maybe I'm thinking of the brewery in Corby. 'Twas all a long time ago.

This thread's making me fancy a trip to Northampton. It doesn't surprise me it's better than its reputation suggests: IME people react in exactly the same way when visiting Hull for the first time!

Yes, I do remember the Carlsberg factory; at least the smell of it. Or maybe I'm thinking of the brewery in Corby. 'Twas all a long time ago.

This thread's making me fancy a trip to Northampton. It doesn't surprise me it's better than its reputation suggests: IME people react in exactly the same way when visiting Hull for the first time!
Does Hull smell of frozen chips?

Thats about all I know about it. And it's probably bollocks

would it supris you to learn that theoffice space on top spent most of its 40 odd years completely empty and 'to let'

I remember that from a TV show a few years back where you could vote for the worst building in the country. I think Greyfriars might have won actually.

Back
Top Bottom