Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Good ways to learn BSL?

sim667

All aboard the 303 bus.
Asking this for my partner, as I know its something she really wants to do long term, but struggles with the finances to do it.

Bit of a weird way into it she got into learning BSL when she kept getting told off for talking to her mate at work, on checkouts, so they decided to learn BSL so they could chat without chatting, she did level 1 & 2, but failed level 3 (I think she was distracted with other stuff), and she also worked for a deaf charity for a while, but she needed to earn more.

This was years ago, and sometimes she bumps into someone to chat to with BSL just randomly, like a toilet attendant in Morocco (SL's seem to be pretty universal), and bumped into someone at Shambala and chatted to them for a bit, but apart from signing to me whilst she talks to me (I know no BSL whatsoever) to show off, she doesn't get to practice at all.

So does anyone know any good resources to learn BSL online, or ways she can find people to practice with whilst she saves up to do her level 3 again? I think her dream would be to work translating or something, but I know there's a lot of qualifications to build up through first.

Look up the British Deaf Association, they should have meetups. I think they're called Deaf Clubs. She did really well to get to level 2! I went to evening classes for level 1 and that was really hard. I didn't finish the course because I started a job working shifts.

Btw sign languages aren't universal! Maybe Moroccan sign language is like BSL.

Bit of a weird way into it she got into learning BSL when she kept getting told off for talking to her mate at work, on checkouts, so they decided to learn BSL so they could chat without chatting
I've been saying for years that BSL should be promoted for anywhere where being heard is difficult, either because you're supposed to be quiet (library, cinema, etc) or where you are is too loud (club) or across distances where it'd be easier/more appropriate to sign than shout.

Love the fact that's how your partner got into it :thumbs:

I have very little in the way of useful suggestions, though :hmm:

Just showing up before someone tags me. I don't have time to research for you, but you're likely to have a deaf club near you. They may not always take kindly to hearing people showing up and wanting to practise their BSL, deaf clubs don't exist to help hearing people, but if she can converse she'll be welcome.

Sign languages are very much not universal btw.

To be a BSL interpreter, she would need to do a degree in BSL.

Look up the British Deaf Association, they should have meetups. I think they're called Deaf Clubs. She did really well to get to level 2! I went to evening classes for level 1 and that was really hard. I didn't finish the course because I started a job working shifts.

Btw sign languages aren't universal! Maybe Moroccan sign language is like BSL.

Yeah I get they aren’t universal as such but there’s a lot of crossover is seems, my partners chatted to Moroccans and Slovakians in SL with very little problem.

Back
Top Bottom