Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Good ol' USA starts *charging* vistors to enter their country. The bastards.

editor

hiraethified
FFS.
As of today, Brits travelling to the USA will have to cough up a $14 (£9) fee for a special type of visa before they can enter the country.

The visa, known as an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation), is mandatory for travellers to the US but has been free since it was introduced in 2008. From today, however, you’ll need to pay up to visit old Uncle Sam.

You must complete the form at least three days before you leave the UK, and it’s only valid for two years, after which you’ll need to complete another form if you want to enter the States again. It is, however, valid for multiple entries once you’ve got it, and you can apply online

Yesterday, the website was overwhelmed with traffic as people rushed to do just that, for free, before the deadline today.

Ironically, the charge has been introduced to encourage more people to visit the US, as visitor numbers have fallen significantly in recent years. The revenue gained from the fees will be used to position America as a top holiday destination.

But with money so tight at the moment, there seems little doubt the fee will do anything other than put most British travellers off. Perhaps they should have offered us a £9 bribe to visit instead?

http://uk.travel.yahoo.com/p-promo-3359799

Don't loads of countries charge for visa's??

People from about 100 countries are charged £68 to apply for a visa to visit the UK, which isn't refundable if the visa's not granted, and £61 for a transit visa - makes $14 sound like a bargain.

It isn't so much the money, it's adding bureaucracy to the process and making people feel less welcome. Nine quid is nothing much compared to the rest of the costs but if you're adding up all of the hoops you have to go through, you might well think "if I have to do this application as well and I don't know much about it and might fuck it up, maybe I'll think about a nice trip to Spain instead".

It isn't so much the money, it's adding bureaucracy to the process and making people feel less welcome. Nine quid is nothing much compared to the rest of the costs but if you're adding up all of the hoops you have to go through, you might well think "if I have to do this application as well and I don't know much about it and might fuck it up, maybe I'll think about a nice trip to Spain instead".

Its simple tho. You stick in ya address and passport number and tell them you are not a terrorist or a drug smuggler and you get an Esta in about 45 seconds. Hardly a hoop to jump thru.

It's such a load of shit. And you still have to fill out the visa waiver form anyway.

I notice that all this e-authorisation didn't stop underpants bomber getting on a plane eh?

It's like having to pay an unmentioned airport departure tax, and it basically sounds like an e-version of those stupid green landing cards you fill in.

Which is much better for the environment (probably). Good ol' Uncle Sam, leading the way with green initiatives!

People from about 100 countries are charged £68 to apply for a visa to visit the UK, which isn't refundable if the visa's not granted, and £61 for a transit visa - makes $14 sound like a bargain.
How much are Americans charged, though?

Quite.

And many people have to put up a large refundable bond to enter.

How much are Americans charged, though?
Most of these types of things are reciprocal, the USA has started to charge and very soon the countries whose citizens are now being charged will charge Americans coming to their country, this will go on for a while then the visa will be changed by agreement and it will go back to being free at the point of entry, is my guess.

If it was about revenue they would have made some new Tax I think

editor if you enter the US by land from Canada they charge you $6 and have done for years! i guess that will now be on top of the $9 for ESTA. fucking cunts

Oh. I was going to go to America tomorrow but I've only got £8.70. I could sell the dolphin for meat when I arrive I guess.

From Johnny's link..:D
Do I need a UK visa?
No
You will not normally need a visa to come to the United Kingdom for a short visit
You told us:
You are
A national of United States
Purpose of your visit
Visit
Your status
Normally and legally living in United States

The visa-waiver ESTA form is the best thing ever compared to the real US visa online application process, which also involves a visit to the embassy.

Back
Top Bottom