Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gated delelopement Loch Tay

There have been a lot of plans/proposals going about for Taymouth Castle over the last couple of decades and TBH, it does need something to put it back into gainful use, before it deteriorates much further.

They started renovating/converting it to a luxury hotel a few years back but there were always issues/concerns about the financial stability of that operation - and what form it would finally take. A very major lady "star" singer was rumoured to be amongst the investors in that scheme. The feeling locally towards that scheme was pretty positive though as it would have provided a fair bit of local involvement and there was no proposal to restrict access to the estate. Its potential for bringing a new focus to the community was seen as pretty good.

I'd be interested to know how they are keeping people out of the estate because to my memory, the local council has had - either leased or owned since the Army pulled-out, a large part of the land surrounding the castle and it has functioned effectively as a country park, with a golf course and river/woodland walks with full public access for more than enough time for it to gain unarguable legal status for access. Some parts of the village have also extended on to the estate in recent years too. The only parts of the old estate to remain wholly in private hands were the Castle itself and the site of the old Army camp behind it. Parts of that were reused by the school that occupied it in the 1970s/80s.

I go back a long way with this place and have been in it several times over the years. One of my family had a determination to buy it in the 1970s - this was when the arrival of oil meant that they could quite easily sell a very average house in Aberdeen for the sort of money that would buy it and the old Army camp! So I remember going along on a very detailed tour of the place in childhood, when it was pretty much just as the Army had left it - they had it as a technical college since WW2. However, beyond the desire to own a BIG castle, yes, there are the remains of the original medieval castle buried in the later structure, however that relative just didn't have access to the sort of money it needed to keep it running even then, or a coherent business plan that would generate enough income. So eventually it was sold and became a private school that mainly took children from US diplomatic/military families - Henry Kissinger's son was one of its more prominent pupils.

Later, after the School, it received a lot of public money over some years when it was used by a consortium of heritage bodies and commercial interests as a testbed for new methods in historic building conservation, which helped stem its deterioration to some degree without being fully public-supported and I managed to visit a couple of times in that period.

After that, it passed into a very murky period of ownership but my late uncle did manage to narrow it down to about a dozen people - Apparently it was a member of the Banking Council of Canada, so serious money but I don't think he ever pinned it down to just who before he died. This owner barely ever visited but another time I was in the area, I got talking to someone who turned-out to be one of his guests and they invited me for a look round the place. The main rooms, library and magnificent stairwell were in good condition but there were obvious signs of decay in other parts of the building and the service range was virtually derelict. Most of the Army camp, bar the swimming pool/sports building and a couple of other buildings that had been reused by the school were completely derelict and have since been demolished. The bunkers built during Army occupation have all been infilled and the old Dairy (itself a remarkable building) and one or two smaller buildings on the estate were sold-off for restoration as private houses back in the late 80s.

Last edited:
Some more info here about Mike Meldman, the guy whose company - and a number of others connected to it now owns Taymouth Castle and Glen Lyon estates.

This is nothing new.

From the picture in that article. If things had gone to plan, I would have grown-up living in the accommodation at the very far right in the service range - I think it was the chief housekeepers house/servants hall, which would have been one hell of a big house in its own right. My Gran identified that as the quarters she wanted for us. As far away from everyone else as she could get! Other people identified their potential quarters in other parts of the service range and the Old Boy wanted to be in the main block of the castle itself, of course..!

Alternatively, it would have been more like we lived and worked our arses-off there for a few years before the entire family were made destitute by his scheme.

Broadly, he had made a good bit of money trucking in Australia for many years - not filthy rich but quite comfortably-off. Coming back to Aberdeen and buying a house just before the arrival of oil sent house prices skyrocketing, whilst Taymouth had failed to sell for years so was now being offered for an absolute pittance.

His plan was to renovate rooms in the castle - West Wing (block on the left) as B&B/guesthouse accommodation, which my Gran would run and buildings in the Army Camp as chalets/holiday homes. There was IIRC talk of renovating the 2-story building in the middle of the camp as a pub/club of some sort. He wanted to get the whole extended family in on it and move-down en-masse. My Gran was vital, because before she got her post office, she had worked at the DOE School and had a lot of experience of catering/domestic management, other members of the family were wanted for their building/trades skills to make the scheme happen and keep the place in good order.

I think my gran liked the idea and wanted to go in with it if the rest of the family had done so. My mother was a bit rootless following the recent breakdown of her marriage and could have handled the Admin/book-keeping but the rest of them gave it the once-over and weren't to be persuaded. The Old Boy was always known as the family wide-o from way-back, so I don't think they trusted him.

Other factors against it included the looming 70s energy crisis, which raised running costs from hugely expensive to staggering and the change in peoples holiday habits - In the face of cheap foreign holidays, Highland Perthshire was fast losing its position as one of the main places Glasgow and Edinburgh took their holidays and other visitor numbers were still low.

When I was going through the family papers after my mother's passing, I found all the letters/sale brochure and other stuff from that time, she'd carefully filed them all away.

What-if indeed..?

Last edited:
I thought gated housing estates were a thing for the rich in high crime cities like los angeles? I doubt this is a high crime area though.

Back
Top Bottom