Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gas cooker help

Thora

Differently Ethical
I have just moved into an old house, the kitchen is tiny and the ancient gas cooker was positioned behind the back door.
We've just had the carpet ( :eek: ) taken up and kitchen floor tiled, so they disconnected and moved the cooker - I am looking at buying a new one but I don't think the space would be considered acceptable to put a gas cooker into?? It's only about 57cm wide and there is a cupboard overhead (93cm from worktop to cupboard) and the back door opens onto the cooker.
What are my options? Could I put an electric cooker in instead?

What are my options? Could I put an electric cooker in instead?

at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, but have you got a cooker circuit / switch near it?

(at the risk of stating the extreme obvious, a cooker circuit will involve a switch akin to this - either with or without conventional electric socket as part of it -

ae235

and something akin to this behind where the cooker would go, for cooker to be wired into -

0006577_crabtree-instinct-1g-50a-flex-outletcooker-connection-unit-cr1506.jpeg

i can't see either in your picture

you can get cookers gas / electric that are 50cm wide, but not sure what the rules are these days about it being so close to a radiator and / or overhead cupboards

Last edited:
at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, but have you got a cooker circuit / switch near it?

(at the risk of stating the extreme obvious, a cooker circuit will involve a switch akin to this - either with or without conventional electric socket as part of it -

ae235

and something akin to this behind where the cooker would go, for cooker to be wired into -

you can get cookers gas / electric that are 50cm wide, but not sure what the rules are these days about it being so close to a radiator and / or overhead cupboards
The radiator isn't a problem as it's not flammable. :)

Can't remember whet the distance should be to an overhead cupboard is. Easiest would be to remove the cupboard.

When i had a cooker installed the bloke took off some shelving above it. They said i could put it back when they left :)

Relevant rules on distances should be incorporated into any specific cooker's installation instructions, so download those before purchase and it will specify the required space around it etc.

ae235

No

Relevant rules on distances should be incorporated into any specific cooker's installation instructions, so download those before purchase and it will specify the required space around it etc.
I had a look at a fairly affordable 50cm Beko one and it says 65mm each side. And not behind a door.
Overhead clearance needs to be about 75cm though so the cupboards should be ok.

bugger

in that case an electric cooker is going to be complicated, unless the amount of cooking you do is minimal and something akin to this (other makes and suppliers no doubt available) would do - seems to be the successor to the old 'baby belling' thing, and unlike a full scale electric cooker, you can just plug it in to a standard socket.

I think you're going to need an actual electrician Thora and potentially a plumber if you plan on disconnecting the radiator as well.

bugger

in that case an electric cooker is going to be complicated, unless the amount of cooking you do is minimal and something akin to this (other makes and suppliers no doubt available) would do - seems to be the successor to the old 'baby belling' thing, and unlike a full scale electric cooker, you can just plug it in to a standard socket.
Actually that looks like a good solution.
We don't have the money at the moment to properly do the kitchen, which is definitely needs, so spending as little money at the moment to manage with what we have is the way to go.

We don't have the money at the moment to properly do the kitchen, which is definitely needs, so spending as little money at the moment to manage with what we have is the way to go.

alternatively -

do you still have the old gas cooker, or has it been removed / is it beyond hope?

would the people who disconnected it be happy to reconnect it? (i don't think you're supposed to do it yourself)

i'm not expert in these things, but think that regulations that might apply to fitting a new cooker might not apply to keeping an old one that was installed before the latest regulations came in, and not sure if temporarily moving it to allow for redecoration etc would count as a new installation.

Do still have the old one, and maybe the man who did the tiles would reconnect it but I think you’re supposed to have a registered person do it. He probably shouldn’t have disconnected it in the first place tbh.

I am an expert on this, having had a similar problem.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you, I or any random plumber or sparks thinks the rules are, it only matters what the person installing it thinks they are. The problem I foresaw turned out not to be a problem but they found a different one. They just took it away and brought it back when I'd sorted it. Worst case they would have refunded me I think.

You can spend months reading instruction manuals and it still won't help.

Electric and gas are not significantly different in their requirements. My takeaway from the whole saga was that if I was doing it again I'd just choose a cooker I fancied and let AO take it away again if they didn't like the space when they came to install it.

Also don't buy a Beko, they are fucking shit.

This is the important but slightly ambiguous diagram:

InstallationGuidesGasHotzoneSquare.ashx

Back
Top Bottom