Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Games for non-gamers

RubyToogood

RubyTwobikes
I'm not really a games person per se. I don't want to shoot robots or get immersed in fantasy worlds inhabited by people wearing khaki undergarments.

However I have extensively enjoyed games like Wordfeud and DrawSomething. At the moment I'm quite enjoying Prune, although whilst it's beautiful it's a bit too much like a traditional game when you get down to it for me, with levels etc.

So, suggestions for preferably Android games that normal people can enjoy? Puzzles, creative games, multiplayer games, things that you can do for ten mins whilst chilling out before bed kind of thing? I think "sedate" is probably what I'm looking for tbh.

Monument Valley. Sort of a puzzle game, but really easy puzzles that idiots like me can figure out. It's more an experience than a game, IMO. It's about playing with optical illusions.

E2A, here's Kevin Spacey banging on about it in House of Cards

e2a: (the following is more my thoughts on the question in general than a direct answer to the OP)
This is a difficult question with highly subjective answers akin to asking for music for people who don't listen to music.

The question to ask is why the person doesn't play games. If the answer is a lack of experience in gaming leading to not know much about games it might be worth doing something like looking at a few "let's play" of popular games on YouTube to give a person an introduction to the feel of games in general.

You could also look for digital versions of more traditional games such as card games. I got quite into playing koi-koi this way

If the person is put off by the difficulty of the more skill based game you can try something more narrative driven like a turn based RPG or maybe even a visual novel.

If this is primarily for gaming on the move I would really recommend picking up a Nintendo DS. You can get a 2DS that comes with a game for around £70-£90 and Nintendo are the Emperor of hand held gaming and there is a giant library of games due to the DSs having backwards compatability to older DS models.

Last edited:
I like monument vally. I did blaze through it in an afternoon though. so a great experience but not great go to game.

Unfortunately the mobile games market is saturated with crap that is riddled with micro payments.

Last edited:
I like monument vally. I did blaze through it in an afternoon though so a great experience but not great go to game.

Unfortunately the mobile games market is saturated with crap that is riddled with micro payments.

It fits the bill perfectly for what the OP is asking for, especially the "sedate" part. Feels almost like you're meditating. Shame its so short. There's extra levels for a couple of quid, but still not really more than a few hours in it, and no replay factor.

games that normal people can enjoy?

3QNHQ8g.png

Monument Valley. Sort of a puzzle game, but really easy puzzles that idiots like me can figure out. It's more an experience than a game, IMO. It's about playing with optical illusions.

E2A, here's Kevin Spacey banging on about it in House of Cards

Monument Valley is exceptional.

The walking dead game is available for Android. It's a touching story about the relationship between a young girl and her surrogate father masquerading as a zombie game.

Monument Valley is great but it's not very long-lasting. It's worth getting just for the time you play it but you won't be spending much time on commutes.

In terms of word games I like Alphabear which I understand is on Android as well.

There's always Minecraft obv, which is really absurdly good on phones now. That can be pretty relaxed.

If it's just mobile games you're after, I don't really play them any more, but back in the day I wasted far too much time on Bejeweled Blitz, Peggle, Robot Unicorn Attack, and more recently Fallout Shelter.

Peggle and Robot Unicorn Attack are legendary.

Oi, people who like to play games are normal!

World of Goo (kind of physics based game with good reviews) is available for android platforms.

Back
Top Bottom