Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Galaxy A13 as first smartphone for elderly parent?

MrCurry

right after this urgent rest
After resisting the smartphone era for the past 15 years or so, my 80+ dad has decided he finally needs one and is interesting in the Samsung Galaxy A13. Would this be a good starting point for him? He uses an iPad and has got on fine with it for the past 5 years, so my advice was to get one of the cheaper iphones (SE?) for familiarity with the interface, but he thinks that’s too expensive and he’s probably right as in all likelihood he will barely ever use it as he’s at home all day.

Just wondering if I should point him towards anything else, as I’m an iphone fan myself and have never used Android, which makes me wonder how I can support him remotely with the inevitable questions he’s going to come up with.

i think he should get an iphone for the familiarity. i've recently moved to a samsung from a sony and there are more differences than i expected, and having been with sony since 2005 it's a pain to find there are some things i can't immediately do, things like screenshots.

If he'll barely use it, what does he need a smartphone for? If it's literally just for calls/text much better to get a basic nokia as the battery will last longer and be less confusing.

If he does actually need smartphone features and is already familiar with an iPad, it seems logical that he'd be less confused by an iPhone as its very similar to an iPad and will link to his iCloud and sync seamlessly etc. It sounds like he wouldn't need anything more than the most basic SE sort of device.

Just don't get him one of those Doro phones specially designed to be simple for old people. It just means he won't know how to work it and you won't either because it's too different from whatever you own too.

1. get a reconditioned iphone for familiarity, yours and his, or
2. if he's proficient at using an ipad he'll manage to pick up using another type of phone. Probably.
3. tell him, no really, if he doesn't get an iphone you cannot and will not help him when he has questions.

Last edited:
After resisting the smartphone era for the past 15 years or so, my 80+ dad has decided he finally needs one and is interesting in the Samsung Galaxy A13. Would this be a good starting point for him? He uses an iPad and has got on fine with it for the past 5 years, so my advice was to get one of the cheaper iphones (SE?) for familiarity with the interface, but he thinks that’s too expensive and he’s probably right as in all likelihood he will barely ever use it as he’s at home all day.

Just wondering if I should point him towards anything else, as I’m an iphone fan myself and have never used Android, which makes me wonder how I can support him remotely with the inevitable questions he’s going to come up with.
There's very little difference between an Android phone and an iPhone for the basic functions, although if he's used to Apple products maybe get him something cheap off backmarket.co.uk.

I’ve had 3 Samsungs, a Nokia Lumia and an iPhone and I think the differences are overstated.

I think you need to factor in the age thing. It’s a bit like me with cars, I’ve only ever really driven two, each for long periods of time, and I know it takes me longer to get the hang of a different vehicle than people who are jumping into different company cars etc. all the time.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I would be happier if he got an iphone as I know I can help him with any problems on that platform. I’m not sure about a refurbed iPhone as the battery life is shit enough when they’re brand new.

If he'll barely use it, what does he need a smartphone for? If it's literally just for calls/text much better to get a basic nokia as the battery will last longer and be less confusing.
He’s concluded he does need one (after being dead against them for a long time), so I do believe him. He’s had trouble with Amazon (for example) sending links in text messages which he can’t open on his current phone, and got locked out of his Amazon account as a result.

He also couldn’t get into the phone shop recently to buy a new phone because EE were stupid enough to have a queuing system where the number of customers in the shop was limited and you had to scan a QR code with your phone camera to open the web page to book yourself a slot to be allowed into their shop. Hence after being an EE customer since they started, he’s now moving to Tesco mobile, because they at least let him into their shop and were helpful.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I would be happier if he got an iphone as I know I can help him with any problems on that platform. I’m not sure about a refurbed iPhone as the battery life is shit enough when they’re brand new.
<snip>

Apple sells refurbs

New battery and body on all phones

1658003187820.png

Samsungs have an Easy Mode you can turn on. Often described as being for Seniors. Makes the icons and text bigger and you can reduce the number of icons on the home screen to just those you 'need'.

Samsungs have an Easy Mode you can turn on. Often described as being for Seniors. Makes the icons and text bigger and you can reduce the number of icons on the home screen to just those you 'need'.

Fair point - I think some of the issues my Dad had was just down to the different size of text and stuff on the phone as opposed to the tablet

The Samsung A13 has virtual proximity sensing, which does not work particularly well. So the screen turns back on in phone calls, and presses buttons against your head.

There's very little difference between an Android phone and an iPhone for the basic functions, although if he's used to Apple products maybe get him something cheap off backmarket.co.uk.
I've got my mum a reconditioned Pixel and a reconditioned Chromebook, with a brand new Gmail account, with a mind to give her access to the big bad world but more securely than she has been, and without the baggage of being targeted by spammers, phishers and fraudsters for 20 years 🤞

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom