Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fully Automated Luxury Communism by Aaron Bastani – a manifesto for the future

editor

hiraethified
I'm in!

Under Fully Automated Luxury Communism,” writes Aaron Bastani towards the conclusion of this short, dizzyingly confident book, “we will see more of the world than ever before, eat varieties of food we have never heard of, and lead lives equivalent – if we so wish – to those of today’s billionaires. Luxury will pervade everything as society based on waged work becomes as much a relic as the feudal peasant ...”

Fully Automated Luxury Communism by Aaron Bastani – a manifesto for the future

I don't really understand this FALC stuff. Doesn't it rely on mining saturn for minerals or something
That's just a minor technical problem which will be surmounted eventually. From what I've read, Bastani is content with asserting this in this book and just leaving it there.

I don't really understand this FALC stuff. Doesn't it rely on mining saturn for minerals or something

It's just shallow trendy left politics, not much to it really. The basic idea is that under communism technology could massively improve living standards, but there's nothing about how we get from here to there. In fact Bastani regurgitates a sort of reheated Stalinism whereby communism becomes an inevitability at a certain stage of the development of the productive forces, and class struggle is relegated to a sociologically interesting phenomenon.

"the replacement of most edible meat with synthetic flesh"

Why? Synthetic flesh? Why?

Anyway, FALC will come about, but the number of people around to enjoy it will be very few indeed.

I don't need to. I was pointing out your contradictory post.
But, yes I have if it's the Guardian review
One is about a potential future. Richer Sounds is about now and is one of a near-microscopic amount of companies handing over power to the workers. But, whatever. I can't be arsed with your tedious attempts to turn it into an ad hominem-fest. Yawn and out.

"the replacement of most edible meat with synthetic flesh"

Why? Synthetic flesh? Why?

Anyway, FALC will come about, but the number of people around to enjoy it will be very few indeed.
'Fake meat' is certainly turning into a multi-billion industry. I reckon there'll be a point in the future when people look back and go, "What? They drank the stuff that came from a cow's nipples?! Eeeeurgh""

One is about a potential future. Richer Sounds is about now and is one of a near-microscopic amount of companies handing over power to the workers. But, whatever. I can't be arsed with your tedious attempts to turn it into an ad hominem-fest. Yawn and out.
I made one post pointing out your hypocrisy. You're bang to rights, so you bow out with an ad hominem of your own.

That's fair but it's not actually anything original is it?
I'd say that there's literally millions of people who have never heard of FALC. And there's some interesting - and wildly fanciful - concepts in there that are worth discussing.

Back
Top Bottom